Which version of OSX?

SKELLEN

I know it's early days to be talking about CMX2, but could someone please tell me what version (minimum) will be supported?

I'm currently using OS X 10.1.4 and am thinking of upgrading to Panther, but would I be better off waiting for the release of CMX2 before I decide?

How many people have used Panther, just out of curiosity, and how do you rate it?

I think you have around a year and a half or more before CMx2 is released as a game. Panther will be somewhat dated by then or at least the mainstream OS X version.

I don't know if a particular OS X minimum will be required, maybe 10.1.x. The major difference in OS X support is that CMx2's graphical API will utilize OpenGL. I'm not sure how many core changes Apple has made in their support of OpenGL over the various flavors of OS X. If it is what I suspect, then there probably hasn't been much change to Apple's support for OpenGL's 3D libraries. Instead most changes involve fixes and improvements, with OpenGL changes probably centered around interface improvements/fixes & video chip support, etc.

If your hardware can run it, then Panther may be a good choice since it will likely be at least the mainstream OS by the time of CMx2's release. You may even upgrade to something else by the time of release.

errr... it could be as long as two years before CMX, but hopefully less So my advice is don't let that stop you. Panther is quicker than previous versions of OSX but seems to use a lot of memory. I'm using it on my dual 450 g4 with 512mb and having the new CS Photoshop, Quark 6 etc and a couple of other apps it slows up. (most probably caused by most apps needing muliple undo's/scratch disk)

For compairson my working 9.2.2 system uses (addmittedly bloated with extensions) 113mb of memory so gawd knows how much Panther uses. The new macs can use, I think, up to 4gig memory.

Lots of good new features with panther i.e. Speedy finder, integration with idisk, multiple users. Quartz rendering works fine with my ATI 32 7000 and so does CM smile.gif BEWARE if you use a Firewire external drive as there has been major problems of data loss. Check thoroughly before upgrading

Originally posted by SKELLEN:

I know it's early days to be talking about CMX2, but could someone please tell me what version (minimum) will be supported?

I'm currently using OS X 10.1.4 and am thinking of upgrading to Panther, but would I be better off waiting for the release of CMX2 before I decide?

How many people have used Panther, just out of curiosity, and how do you rate it?

I am liking the upgrade to Panther very much. I would rather have seen CMX2 then CMAK as here I have this wonderful new toy to play with and still have to keep a another box around to play CM... (But, that's another thread's worth of complaints.)

Regarding memory for the new macs, they can use up to 8GB of memory. Also, 10.3.1 has resovled the Firewire drive issue. (Although, I would still be disconnecting before upgrading if it was me.)