CMBB Scoring Has Changed from CMBO

I'm probably the last to notice this, but they've changed the way scores are calculated. All game scores will now total to 100. In effect, contested VL points are now split between the players, but not evenly. The ratio of the scores is preserved. For example, if you outscore your opponent 2:1, you will be given points for the contested VL at a 2:1 ratio. A CMBO score of 50-25 translates to 67-33 in CMBB. This means victory LEVEL is unaffected. Only actual points scored and the DIFFERENCE between player scores changes, not the ratio of the scores.

If you're the kind who tends to focus on the gap (the difference) between the scores to assess your performance, you will find yourself winning and losing by wider margins. If you focus on victory level (point ratio), you will notice no change.

Would you rather win with a 67-33 score, or a 50-25 score? I like the former because the missing points in the latter suggest that the mission was less than successful, even though you outscored your opponent 2:1.

There is really no significance to this scoring change except in competitions where total points over several games are used. I'm not even sure there are any such competitions. It's just something I found interesting.

Treeburst155 out.

Since CMBB gives us the breakup of points we can recalculate the old value manually.

This is definitivly useful for ROW III. The splitting of flags was found better for these trouneys, as dicussed in our not boring long thread. So I guess people need to report not only the final score but also flags held.

I'm about to embark into vacation, so don't expect more answers soon. Happy Cristmas everyone.

I don't think this affects the Nabla Scoring Program. The program just won't have any scores totalling <100 points to deal with. Tourney results will be different than they would have been because the Nabla program splits the points 50/50 for contested VLs; BUT, there are no longer any contested VL points to split. That part of the program is obsolete for CMBB.

Treeburst155 out.

I had noticed this too and even posted my findings directly to you.

I would describe this as simply CMBB leaves contested flags out of the scoring calculation. It just counts all players points for both players and then adds these two numbers together and uses that as the maximum score.

Wich way to divide the score then? I can think of situations where the contested score should count mostly for the loser and also many situations where the winning side should get most of the score. So basicly without knowing the situation I think the fairest way would be even distribution.

-TNT-

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

I don't think this affects the Nabla Scoring Program. The program just won't have any scores totalling <100 points to deal with. Tourney results will be different than they would have been because the Nabla program splits the points 50/50 for contested VLs; BUT, there are no longer any contested VL points to split. That part of the program is obsolete for CMBB.

Treeburst155 out.

Well, we can ignore it if we want.

But if you remember, we had two ways of splitting unoccupied flags: 1) even and 2) as the other points. At that time we decided 1) is better, but CMBB now does 2).

In special we found that the even split punishes lazy victors, which we found is a good idea when the scenarios are announced to be possibly unbalanced. The even split means you lose more from just sitting on enough points to win and don't try to get more flags.

[ December 25, 2002, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

Yes, Tuomas, I do recall you mentioning the new point split to me. I dismissed the idea until I saw it myself. I didn't believe you. :D

They've removed contested VLs completely from the scoring calculations , like you said. This has the same effect as awarding points for the contested VLs as I've described above.

What this means to ROW III is that VL points are now split in relation to the score ratio, rather than a 50/50 split. RoW vets have discussed this in the past, and there was some controversy as to which was the better way to split the contested VLs.

Considering the MAJOR hassle it would be to convert scores, I say we just go with what BFC has decided to do. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. The Nabla Program will do NO VL point splitting because BFC has decided to do it for us using the "ratio method". As stated in my earlier post, this will just tend to make victories larger from a point perspective. As far a fairness is concerned, we have no problem as long as every game is scored the same way.

Treeburst155 out.

Interesting point, Redwolf. I had forgotten about the "lazy victor" argument for the 50/50 split. The thing to consider here is whether it is a big enough issue to go to all the hassle of converting scores. I can barely get players to report games correctly, let alone have everyone dig out the old calculator after every game. :D

There will be at least 180 games to score in this manner, and lots of opportunity for mistakes. I don't think it's worth the trouble. Besides, the "ratio split" has some merit behind it too.

Treeburst155 out.

[ December 25, 2002, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Jukka-Pekka's original suggestion to split contested VL points was put forth due to a very gamey loophole he discovered with regard to the Nabla Scoring System. BFC has closed that loophole. I'm not going to "undo" a BFC design decision for any reason short of another big gamey loophole involving the Nabla System.

Nabla may feel differently, but I doubt it. If he does, I'm sure he will build the conversion right into his scoring program. :D

Treeburst155 out.

[ December 25, 2002, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]