Flocks of a Feather

What about these currently ambient bird (or why not dog) sounds giving clues about what is happening in some part of battle field?

A squad is advancing in forest. Sun is shining and birds singing nearby. Suddenly all bird sounds end. Now what could that mean?

Or another squad is moving on town streets. Some occasional dog barks now and then. After a while somewhere on the right, not too far away, a dog starts barking ferociously. Hmmm?

Originally posted by SlowMotion:

A squad is advancing in forest. Sun is shining and birds singing nearby. Suddenly all bird sounds end. Now what could that mean?

Depends on what the cellos and basses are playing on the soundtrack. Or it could just be that they all flew off to chase a new hatch of flies over the creek. Or maybe bird laryngitis. (Do birds get laryngitis? May have to do a web search...)

Michael

Exactly smile.gif It *could be* that they just flew away or something's happening nearby that changed their singing. Okay, maybe there are more important sound issues, but I think it would be cool if the background sounds could give you more hints about enemy you can't see yet. Especially during the first few turns when not much seems to be happening, by listening carefully you might catch a warning signal just a little bit earlier.

I suppose much of this is modeled with sound contacts, but things like dog barking changing might tell that there's something there, but not whether there's a light tank or some soldiers.

Suddenly all bird sounds end. Now what could that mean?

That's what I'm talking about. This is what Sgt. Saunders used so effectively in Combat, the TV series. Ya see he knew what bird sounds meant. Sadly, the younger generation unlike the hardened veterans of WWII, don't pay much attention to the bird in the bush. They'd rather have one in hand. Randy vermin, but on the battlefield a tweet tweet or a caw-caw there can mean all the difference.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Although rather ornithologically challenged myself, I was under the distinct impression that the loon, for one, was exclusively a North American bird. Anybody able to straighten me out here?

Loon, if my dictionary's definition for it is correct (kuikka), is really a usual bird at least in Finland.

Now, what I want, would be some cuckoos.

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

[quote

As a consequence, I think it is essential that BTS sends a team to Eastern Europe with the necessary recording equipment to get an accurate representation of the authentic sounds. Otherwise, all the work they have put into the game will be discredited and in vain.

:(

Michael

And in a spirit of noble self sacrifice and general good will towards my fellow CMers, I volunteer to go on a six month all expenses paid trip to Russia and Poland to collect the appropriate bird calls, I'm a giving kind of guy ;)