58 guys and only one hero

Just had a look at one of my earlier scenarios: Rotten Hill hosted at Scenario Depot. 58 guys downloaded it and only one guy gave it a review: M Hofbauer... the review was rather ****ty because as M pointed out I neglected to check my map and the main objective could quite easily be reached via an unguarded flank (amongst other flaws) :(

The point I'm trying to make: 59 guys played a seriously flawed scenario, but only one guy bothered to mention the fact...

Come on guys - don't worry if we'll think your comments are stupid.. don't worry that we'll be p'd off and jump down your throats (we can't - your e-mail address are'nt listed).

Please, please for the benefit of all of us - take a few minutes and just mention one bad/good thing per scenario - that's the only way we'll get better and you'll end up having more fun.

Thanx M - painfull, but unfortunately quite true ;)

Good for you Bloody!

Now if all the other downloaders would just review one here and there:

1) Scenario designers would end up making far better scenarios

2) all the players would find it far easier to choose scenarios thats in their taste

3) all round we'll have greater variety & quality...

Win-Win-Win

C'm on guys do your bit smile.gif

Johan - That was exactly my point in the other thread. I am quite happy with what Keth has done with the Scenario Depot (the guy should get sponsorship cash from BTS) in that it allows me as a scenario designer to collect information both passively (d/loaded counter) and actively (reviews) on interest in my work.

Unfortunately, I typically have to rely on the passive info only as few reviews are still posted. In 4 weeks I have had "Where Eagles Dare" d/loaded 100 times, but only reviewed 3 times. I had expected a lot more since it is a vs. AI scenario and can be completed in one sitting.

For my other scenarios, while I like getting reviews that say "this is perfect, don't change a thing" it is often more important to get the detailed criticisms of balance, historical plausibility and playability that you only get from a tiny few people that allow you to tune and improve the work product.

Getting more 'heroes' who will post reviews of every scenario they play is key to making Keth's site more valuable into the future.

I have committed myself to providing a review of EVERY scenario (or map) I play.

I told my opponent to write a review, also. Played "Wrong End" and had a great game. Nice map, gives the player a great choice between the need for speed on the roads and the ability to go cross country. Well done. Good mix of forces, both in types of units and experience of units.

I hereby pledge to write more reviews.

[ February 04, 2002, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: BloodyBucket ]

Goanna, I know most guys don't write reviews because they're simply too lazy, but I also suspect that a sizeable chunk don't write them because they're scared to look like fools...

Guys, even if you are a newbie - whatever you write will still help...

Obviously we don't act on everything we read, but if a couple of guys mention the same thing then we know there is a problem... or vice versa..

Don't for one moment think that we'll redicule your efforts - reviews are so scarce that each one is highly appreciated.

Great BloodyBucket smile.gif Keep it up - especially the nice reviews like that one ;) Seriously: as Goanna says above: we especially need the negatives - they are the real kick-in-the-arse to better scenarios.

BTW - anybody got the time to test a large one... My latest & best yet (I hope) see 'Up Close & Personal' at the depot. Give me mail if you like what you see and if your PC can handle a biggie.

I feel your pain, Biltong. A couple of my scenarios have been downloaded well over 100 times and still only have 3-5 reviews. That being sid, I download a lot of scenarios that I don't play for quite a while. I read the reviews as they come out, download the likely looking scenarios, and play them later when i have time.

JW

You can't assume that everyone who downloads your scenario plays it as well. I download tons of scenarios, I actually play a small fraction of the total. I d/l usually to check out the map.

That said, I encourage everyone I play to post reviews on the Scen Deopt. The resource is only as good as what we all put into it.