Is it possible?

Yes, at least in theory.

1) Give it a "hunt" order up to the point with LOS to the target.

2) Continue with a "reverse" order back into cover.

3) If your intended target is already spotted (by some other unit) then designate it as a target for your tank, otherwise the tank will engage any target of opportunity.

4) Hit [GO!].

Cheers

Olle

Guest Michael emrys

What would be REALLY nice would be if you could put in a pause just as it got to the top and before it went into reverse. Sometimes it takes the crew a while to spot the target and aim the gun, you know.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

What would be REALLY nice would be if you could put in a pause just as it got to the top and before it went into reverse. Sometimes it takes the crew a while to spot the target and aim the gun, you know.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you tried placing a few hunt - reverse command very close? It works OK, (the dancing tank graphic is very interesting to watch too)

Also, did you ever notice what happens when you add commands on to a chain of existing commands? Say you entered on one turn a MOVE >> HUNT >> MOVE sequeunce, then on the following turn, beofer that sequence of commands is completed you add another HUNT, (or whatever is appropriate), there will be a pause before the unit goes onto the command entered on that later turn.

In CM context "pause" means "pause action" and therefore doesn't make sense when you want the unit to engage enemy. I agree that there should be a stationary equivalent for "pause", i.e. high priority for engaging enemy but without moving. Maybe "rotate" (towards known enemy locations) would work as a short term substitute?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

Yes, at least in theory.

1) Give it a "hunt" order up to the point with LOS to the target.

2) Continue with a "reverse" order back into cover.

3) If your intended target is already spotted (by some other unit) then designate it as a target for your tank, otherwise the tank will engage any target of opportunity.

4) Hit [GO!].

Cheers

Olle<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My favorite tactic! One note: using HUNT will often cause your troops to stop and engage anyone it can see. If you are using a rather fragile vehicle, try the same thing, but issue a MOVE command instead of HUNT. Your tank (AC, SPA, etc) will usually try to engage on the move and then reverse instead of standing and slugging it out.

Didn't this used to be called the "Saber Dance" in SL/ASL circles?

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Levine:

In CM context "pause" means "pause action" and therefore doesn't make sense when you want the unit to engage enemy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, I think you may have misunderstood what 'Pause' (the command) does. It does not pause the action (maybe you are thinking of the Pause button on the video playback?). It puts a delay into the start of a unit's movement orders. Charles and Steve decided to have it only effect the start of a movement. They said that allowing one to be introduced after movement began introduced an unrealistic degree of micromanagement. They may be right, but I am presently entertaining a disagreement.

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

Have you tried placing a few hunt - reverse command very close? It works OK, (the dancing tank graphic is very interesting to watch too)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hadn't thought of that. May give it a try for lack of a better idea. Seems we are skirting dangerously close to the gamey here though.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Also, did you ever notice what happens when you add commands on to a chain of existing commands? Say you entered on one turn a MOVE >> HUNT >> MOVE sequeunce, then on the following turn, beofer that sequence of commands is completed you add another HUNT, (or whatever is appropriate), there will be a pause before the unit goes onto the command entered on that later turn.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, this one I *had* thought of, but hadn't found an opportune moment to try. Maybe giving an order to the top of the ridge on one turn and adding the reverse order on the next turn would do the trick, eh? Assuming you have that many turns to set it all up.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Actually, this one I *had* thought of, but hadn't found an opportune moment to try. Maybe giving an order to the top of the ridge on one turn and adding the reverse order on the next turn would do the trick, eh? Assuming you have that many turns to set it all up.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Getting the timing right is not easy, but it really only takes 1 more turn than a normal run up the hill and do a look see.

As far as "gameyness" of using the hunt/reverse in rapid sequence... well just imagine a nervous driver, or a bad clutch and pressure plate combination. cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RudeLover:

A real-life tanker talks about 'lowsky' and 'tophat,' suggesting that maybe it isn't so gamey after all. I've seen other tankers on this board talk about the real-life small displacements and rotations for a fighting tank (never been there myself, thankfully).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it's not a 'gamey' tactic. Both tankers and Bradleys are trained to fight like this. You are trained to ID and aim at targets from the turret down and then roll up, enagage and back down. The sights for the M1 and M2/M3 allow you to see what you may not be able to shoot at due to the hull down.

Cav