CM locking up

I'm having the same problem Harv seems to have had a few threads ago - CM seems to randomly freeze, usually during the orders phase, but occasionally during the movie. The mouse still works, but the video is otherwise frozen. Unfortunately, the fix Harv found (disabling AGP texturing in dxdiag) doesn't work for me.

I'm running CM on a Dell Inspiron 3700 laptop. It's a Celeron 433, 96mb ram, Win 98SE. The video card is an ATI Rage Mobility-M1 AGP 2X, with 8mb of VRAM, and the sound card is a Maestro Direct Sound Driver. My drivers and DirectX are up to date.

At this point I've tried:

-different weather/smoke settings within CM

-turning down both video and sound hardware acceleration in dxdiag

-reinstalling CM

-reinstalling my sound, video, and touchpad drivers

-installing older versions of the drivers

-reinstalling DirectX

-reinstalling Win98

No joy on any of these. The problem is exactly as Harv described it, but his fix hasn't worked. The problem is sporadic, but it happens often enough to be frustrating.

This problem is also fairly recent. The only change I've made to my computer recently is to install a new LCD, but I haven't had problems with any other apps, and I'm not sure how that could affect this anyway.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

hey chup... I get a similer thing.. kinda.

I recive a pbem lauch CM fire up the PBEM and all is ok I can move around the map etc.. till I hit the play button.. it plays normaly til something shoots.. and freeze..well ok not realy freeze I can hear the background sounds the battle sounds shooting but the movie is frozen...then *pop* 10 seconds are gone by.. still the same effect.. I wait exactly 5 minutes for the one minute film to be overs.. the "done" button appears I can click it and *zoom* back to normal usage.. I can look around the map give orders.. see the effects from the movie.. ie tanks burning squads wiped out or in retreat..hmmm

I'm on a G4/400 with almost a gig of RAM.. I don't know whats going on here the same pbems I take home and fire up on my Power Mac 6500/300 they play normaly and so.. me finks its this crapy ATI graphics card on the new Macs.. damn ATI!!

roughly one out of eight PBEMs turn out this way, and its quite anoying.

anyone having this freeze problem on G4's??

mensch

---------

Der Kessel Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by mensch (edited 11-09-2000).]

Chup - are you running just the LCD display or are you driving an external monitor too ? If you are running more than one display, I'd suggest limiting it to only one.

Though this support document doesn't exactly apply to your situation, it does show the control panel for the ATI display:

Dell Support Document:

http://support.dell.com/us/en/kb/document.asp?DN=TT1033901

I'd suggest enabling only one of the displays (most likely I'd assume you would want to enable the "Panel" as your primary).

The next possibility may be your touchpad drivers. You may want to uninstall them (and remove the .INF file for them so that they don't reinstall again) and instead install a Generic PS/2 mouse driver. The Generic PS/2 driver should work fine; it just won't have as many controls and features as your current touchpad driver.

It would seem strange that changing the LCD would cause these problems. Did your previous one crack or die ?

Schrullenhaft -

I've just got the LCD. Ironically, when I was using an external monitor, CM ran like a champ.

I've tried fiddling with different mouse/touchpad drivers, with no luck. I believe I have tried the generic PS/2 drivers, but will try them again.

I had to replace the LCD because the cable which sends power from the power supply to the screen had become broken.

I'm suspecting I'm just going to have to deal with this. Unfortunately, it has cut down on my desire to play CM. C'est la vie, I suppose.

------------------

I'd have to buy a new monitor, the one I was using is on another continent. I'm not terribly inclined to do so; I might as well just buy a new computer, which I may in fact do.

And yep, the monitor's native res. is 1024x768, which is what I run CM in. Running it at lower resolutions doesn't work either, unfortunately. :/

------------------

Chupa,

I'm having the same problem that you do. I'm running CM on HP Omnibook 6000, definitely same video card and probably the same sound card as well. I've tried to update all the drivers (except the newest DirectX). Nothing helps. The Alt-S key combination has become very familiar... frown.gif If either of us finds a solution lets share it asap.