meta campaign in Russia : Is it starting ?

Andreas, watching with interest. What's a GM? Just an aside, I do find the text being in yellow on a white background hard to see at times (front page). Once highlighted after visiting the link it turns even brighter yellow and goes almost invisible.

[ December 21, 2002, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: Apache ]

Originally posted by Apache:

Andreas, watching with interest. What's a GM? Just an aside, I do find the text being in yellow on a white background hard to see at times (front page). Once highlighted after visiting the link it turns even brighter yellow and goes almost invisible.

I just go straight to the forums :D

A GM is a 'Game-Master' (that is D&D speak, in military terms it would be an umpire), who handles the resolution of orders given by players. I take it you never did table-top RPG?

Tabletop wargaming only. Packed that up when I realised I'd need a warehouse to play WWII, not to mention thousands of pounds worth of units, scenery and paint :D

Stick to PC versions now, this and Napoleonics. More ambience too. No matter how good the units, scenery looks in table top you still had to get out dice and a tape measure before long :(

Just an aside, I do find the text being in yellow on a white background hard to see at times (front page). Once highlighted after visiting the link it turns even brighter yellow and goes almost invisible.

Way ahead of ya'.

I've already mailed the webmaster with an html tip on that subject; perhaps we'll be able to read it soon. Here's his reply:

from the webmaster:

I suspect you are talking about the CMMC2 site. Yes, that is not a bad idea to apply a default color such as black to body of the site css.

Thanks,

Kevin

Tabletop wargaming only. Packed that up when I realised I'd need a warehouse to play WWII, not to mention thousands of pounds worth of units, scenery and paint :D

Stick to PC versions now, this and Napoleonics. More ambience too. No matter how good the units, scenery looks in table top you still had to get out dice and a tape measure before long :(

CMMC has pretty good ambience, and certainly beats Quick Battles. We try to simulate staff and CoC, in order to generate more realistic battles.

Some favourites of mine in CMMC1 include 5 Fritz ATGs and a broken screwdriver stopping an armoured brigade in its tracks, and on the reverse, three Churchills and a one-legged private stop a Panther battalion :D

We look forward to Ivan the AT-rifle man single-handledly stopping 1. PD outside Belyi, becoming a Soviet folk hero in the process.

Does your (or any known) meta campaign use computer programs to digest a saved-game snapshot of a completed scenario, update the operational status, and then generate the scenario files for the next operational turn?

I can't imagine a campaign really working without automation... the GM's will snap and the players would have unbearable accounting. But I'd like to know .. what have the various MC's shown in the way of structured, easy scenario setup that suggests a larger struggle than the individual actions resolved in CM??

tone

Originally posted by tone:

I can't imagine a campaign really working without automation... the GM's will snap and the players would have unbearable accounting.

You may not be able to imagine it, but it has already happened, and been finished. Check the link I supplied earlier - and yes, we had a lot of GM and player retention problems.

Ah you'd better resend.

I was computerless for a few months. Sometime back in September my desktop got fried. I think a power surge F'ed up the power supply and Hard Disk since the power unit is hosed and the HD is also totalled. In any case I lost absolutely everything (saved games, AARs, emails, email addresses etc).

The old email address is still functional but I wasn't accessing it etc for a few months and given what happened last time I posted to the forum I didn't feel like posting an explanatory message would be a good idea.

Originally posted by Eden Smallwood:

I've already mailed the webmaster with an html tip on that subject; perhaps we'll be able to read it soon. Here's his reply:

Sorry it took me a few days but this is done. There is a background image but it is rather large and if you have a slow connection then it takes forever to download the image and the site was unreadable. The site now has a default background color of black so you can red the site for those of you whose connections make a 180k background picture not an option.

Thanks,

GM Kevin

Originally posted by tone:

Does your (or any known) meta campaign use computer programs to digest a saved-game snapshot of a completed scenario, update the operational status, and then generate the scenario files for the next operational turn?

I can't imagine a campaign really working without automation... the GM's will snap and the players would have unbearable accounting. But I'd like to know .. what have the various MC's shown in the way of structured, easy scenario setup that suggests a larger struggle than the individual actions resolved in CM??

tone

What really needs to be done is an API added to suck unit information out of saved games. Of course so this would not be abused a group of developers would have to release an API that requires both sides passwords be entered. A utility that would allow us to do this and better yet insert forces into an existing saved game (if a commander executes a contingency order to send in reinforcements that we were not sure would happen when the battle began) would make things much easier on us.

We've never really brought it up to the BTS folks but we would have to get some developers together to do this pro bono under an NDA (they don't want their saved game format to be released, and with good reason). We have a lot of good developers in the CMMC community, but like I said we would have to get BTS's buy in and support before we could even consider working on such a thing.

Did I mention how much time it would save us though... smile.gif

Thanks,

GM Kevin