The Newbie Tournaments II

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

Well Ted; after a few days of using it, I'd have to say HELL YEAH! :D

Broadband rocks! I can't ever see going back to the super sloooooooooooww dial-up! ;) <hr></blockquote>

I regret the fees tho'

Whip crack a bump

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Splash:

I regret the fees tho'

<hr></blockquote>

Man, you said it! $$$ Chu-ching! $$$ Once broadband becomes mainstrean though, it will force companies to compete and drop their prices. Just like my theroy on cell phones: Soon everyone is going to pay a flat rate for unlimited service. Just like your regular phone.

Bumps in the back, Bumps in the back! I like the threads with the bumps in the back!

[QB]

Man, you said it! $$$ Chu-ching! $$$ Once broadband becomes mainstrean though, it will force companies to compete and drop their prices. /QB]<hr></blockquote>

Hopefully the future proliferation of cable modem users won't wreck the speed you get. I pay $40/mo. for Time Warner's Roadrunner service, and max out at 250. Unlike DSL, which has a guaranteed rate, the providers could conceivable not improve their systems to avoid a degredation in speed.

This is the logic I've heard as to why cable modems are the best bang-for-your-buck now, but DSL's guaranteed speeds make it the best for the future.

More results from the Newbie Rejects:

Silvio Manuel (French) defeated Flammenwerfer (German) by a score of 59-41 in Mighty Mouse.

So, Silvio Manuel wins Round 1 with an overall score of 113-87 and advances to Round 2.

Congratulations to Silvio Manuel!

A Bridge Too Close sounds like it'll be a good ole tug-o-war. :eek:

So Ted, you positioning forces on opposite ends within each other's rifle sights on turn 1? tongue.gif <hr></blockquote>

VJ,

Actually, the entire map consists of a 100-metre long bridge. The scenario will be fought on it, ala Log Rolling! :eek:

So, Ted, what were the procedures for turning in results to you? Do you need the final turns from each of us or somefink like that? Me and Darkknight_Canuck are coming down to the end of our much protracted battle here, and should be done in a couple of days. It's very close, but I have to give the nod to myself, mostly because I've sat firmly on my VL's and have for the most part had complete control of my side of the map and fire superiority across the drive. That, and I just flamed one of my opponent's VL's. :D

Sgt. C.,

After you have loaded the game file, hit alt-S to save the game. Name the file whatever you'd like and then start again by hitting "Play Game." Find your save file on the list and load it. When you get to the "Choose Connection Type" screen, choose "TCP/IP" and you'll be ready to go!

During a TCP/IP game, you can hit alt-S to create a saved game file. I don't think you have a choice of what to name it, but I could be wrong. When you are ready to resume the game, you can choose TCP/IP, Email, or Hotseat.

I hope that helps.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bad Monkey!:

Try telling that to my FTs. Wait, you can't, because they're all dead! :eek: <hr></blockquote>

Well, the battle is over and I think that's a good thing b/c both sides were literally exhausted (it's hard to press the attack when the ammo runs dry and your men are reduced to passing wind in the general direction of your opponent in the hopes that some of his men might faint :rolleyes: ). This gives me about a week to take a look back at the files and craft an accurate AAR.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Darknight_Canuck ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SuperTed:

The first results from the GV Newbie Alternates:

Darknight_Canuck (German, 41) and Bad Monkey! (Canadian, 36) played to a draw in Medium Rare.

<hr></blockquote>

Count 'em 23 missing points! Where'd they go boys?

The missing points probably come from contested/non-controlled Victory Flags...no one gets the points. In some tournaments they split the pts evenly between the two players- that helps to reduce the influence or occurence of the gamey "last second (often suicidal) flag rush."

In a recent 1500pt ME of mine, there was 1 contested small flag (worth 100pts), that counted for 5pts in the Final Score (so it only added up to 95pts).

Large flags are worth triple that (300 pts, or the equivalent of 3 Platoons/ 2 decent tanks), or 15 pts in my example.

I think there's another way to have it not add up to 100- methinks its if a unit exits the map on a friendly map edge (or neutral- are there neutral edges??).

S.M.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

The missing points probably come from contested/non-controlled Victory Flags...no one gets the points. In some tournaments they split the pts evenly between the two players- that helps to reduce the influence or occurence of the gamey "last second (often suicidal) flag rush."

<hr></blockquote>

Medium Rare doesn't have any victory flags....

Zitadelle,

Actually, it has three.<hr></blockquote>

And here I thought there were 2 on each side of the road :rolleyes: ....as to the missing VP's, I was puzzled as well but there was that last minute attack into the rear of one of my opponent's VL...IIRC, he had slightly more casualties, our KIA was equal and he lost more FT than I did...(I think this last part accounts for the points difference)....

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Darknight_Canuck:

And here I thought there were 2 on each side of the road :rolleyes: ....as to the missing VP's, I was puzzled as well but there was that last minute attack into the rear of one of my opponent's VL...IIRC, he had slightly more casualties, our KIA was equal and he lost more FT than I did...(I think this last part accounts for the points difference)....<hr></blockquote>

DK,

Whoops! There are actually four flags. I guess I should pay attention to what I'm doing, eh? redface.gif

The first results from the GV Newbie Alternates:

Darknight_Canuck (German, 41) and Bad Monkey! (Canadian, 36) played to a draw in Medium Rare.

Congratulations to Darknight_Canuck (barely)! ;) <hr></blockquote>

Y'know, throughout the entire scenario, not one of my opponent's units was ID'd as Canadian....they all came up as UK.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Darknight_Canuck:

Y'know, throughout the entire scenario, not one of my opponent's units was ID'd as Canadian....they all came up as UK.<hr></blockquote>

DC,

Sorry, I mispronounced that. It should be British. redface.gif (again)