Is it my imagination, or do the panzers now have laser-rangefinders?

I won't pretend to be an expert, but I can't help but wonder if the new optics system is really more realistic than the old one. From what I have come to understand reading various books on armor, the quality of soviet optics was poor enough to make a hit against a target at 1200m or more very unlikely. However after repeatedly using the KVs in the citedal

mission against the pz III and IV, I was suprised to see that the KV tankers were achieving about 25% accuracy against staionary targets at 500m, while at that range the panzers had about 80% accuracy. This disparity might be understandable if the skill levels of the crew differed significantly, but the KVs as well as most of the panzers were regulars. So grognards, is this really the realistic accuracy

of soviet optics? This demo has made me wonder how the real soviet tankers ever made a kill :confused:

Denizen,

If it's like the situation I'm thinking of, then the Germans are a) better than regular and B)

have good optics against poor Russian ones.

Please see my So Cal Sneak Preview Report post, in which I describe the havoc high quality crews with good optics can cause. That should give you a better perspective on the problem. Then you'll understand why the Germans would bother to track mount an 88 under open topped skin which'll only stop MG bullets (Nashorn). As long as they could maintain adequate range separation, such weapons could and did reap a terrible harvest of Soviet armor.

Regards,

John Kettler

Denizen, optics are just a small part of the whole gunnery equation, and the x% figure is just an indication - real chance to hit can be completely different. In your case, I am almost absolutely certain that optics only play a minor role in accounting for the difference.

I'm sure german tankers could hit pretty well from 1000 meters with high velocity 75mm of the PzIV.

Probably not badly with high velocity 50mm either.

Tiger crews could have easily hit moving target at 1000 meters.

(altho, in original combat mission Tiger's doesn't seem to hit squat ;) )

Now one needs a bit more brain power in deploying and using tanks, which is great !

I love the optics as now simulated in the game. I use my P4's in hulldown overwatch out at 1200 m and rumble ahead with my P3's to lure the poor KV-1's out. The KV-1's react in confusion to the incoming shot and soon they are destroyed, and not a single return shot. The Tigers and Panthers will become the most feared tanks in this game no doubt.

Together with the Camo bonus this all makes for a huge difference in tank warfare in CMBB, Great !

Greets

Daniel