I need opinions on unit status for a scenario

Does surrendering without much resistance or no resistance at all indicate green or conscript troops?

I'm going to try to do a semi historical scenario and need opinions of if that is any indication of what kind of troops they are.

thanks for any replies.

Not necessarily IMO. For example, there must have been at least some German units late in the war, that would have jumped for a chance to surrender and be done with the whole gruesome business (Battlefatigue or somesuch).

Also, if a situation seems hopeless, and active defense will only cost you your lives, while there is nothing at all to gain, surrender would be an option.

The main thing to consider is this:

- How much do I want the player to be able to rely on this unit?

I might leave a veteran platoon without backup, I know they'll hold.

I NEVER leave a green platoon without backup, if I can help it. There's just no way of telling how it'll react under fire.

If you want platoons that just surrender on sight, make them conscripts and set fanaticism to 0.

STen

Doug, I haven't design my first scenario for CM yet (gotta play it), but my advice is find out what division they're from, and then you can get an idea based on the divisional history. So, 84th US Infantry, e.g. fought well in their first battle, maybe more Regular than Green, 90th US Infantry fought terribly, all Green. If there's just a description of how the troops fought, roughly base it on that as well what makes the scenario balanced. Since most books only give strong detail about one side, I'd just set the other side up to balance the first.

An easy surrender would be a strong indication of green or conscript troops. You can see the type of troops you have when you click on them. But there are other things that might be involved.

There are also grades of suppression. For example in the first battle of the Operation of Team Desobry at Noville, there are American troops outside the perimeter, symbolizing retreating American forces in the face of the German advance.

Desobry did avail himself of units of the 28th and other units as they headed away from the Germans toward Bastogne.

For some historical reason, the designer may begin a battle with troops already under some fatigue or suppression, thus making them riper for surrender, or worse, getting wiped out.

I used these features in another scenario in the game when one Allied unit was relieving another in the line. They had forced-marched all day and half the night in the pouring rain and cold. They were exhausted, hungry and not paying attention. They were caught off guard by a sudden German counterattack.

Unit quality runs from conscript to crack, with a gradual upgrade in experience and morale. They become tougher as they go.

If you have the time and interest, you can always open a scenario in the editor and look at its "guts," or how it is put together. You can find out a lot about each unit by clicking on the unit and then clicking on edit.

Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Wild Bill's Raiders

Director of Scenario Design,

The Gamers Net

billw@thegamers.net

http://wbr.thegamers.net

Unit Histories and or After Action reports of units are based on documents written during the period mentioned; in the heat of battle and the infomation received was the best to be had at the time. So while they are good to a point and give you an overall view of the action, keep in mind that specifics need to be double checked for confirmation. Hope this helps.

I learned all this the hard way while researching for a book I wrote on my grandfather's engineering battalion. It took me two years and I still wish I had more info!

------------------

Webmaster

http://www.trailblazersww2.org

http://www.vmfa251.org