mg inCM BB

Maybe you're talking about the Maxim 1910 MG. This weapon sported a small protective shield and was mounted on two-wheel carriage.

With this it weighted a whopping 66kg.

Since the Maxim was one of the mainstay of soviet weaponry you can be rather sure that you'll see it in CMBB.

Maxim M1910

[ June 30, 2002, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Well, except for those out there who are CMBB beta testers, we'll all have to wait until the release to see if they're any good in the game. . . :D

Historically, they were generally inferior to German MGs. As the name implies, the Maxim 1910 was a pre-WWI design; it had undergone some minor improvements in the interwar years, but it was still basically the same gun as was used in the First World War.

As noted above, it was very heavy; this is what necessitated the wheeled frame mounting. It also had a much lower ROF than the MG34 or MG42 - the website Parballum refrences above lists the cyclic ROF for the Maxim at 600rpm.

On plus side, it was a sturdy, reliable gun. It was easy to maintain and performed well under field conditions. This is particularly important when comparing it to the MG34. While the MG34 was a great gun, it did not tolerate dust, mud, and cold very well.

In terms of firepower, I would expect to see a similar performance to the British Vickers in CMBO (Another WWI era gun). I would also expect to see a similar lack of mobility. Worth noting that the Maxim is also similar to the Vickers in that they are both water-cooled (which partially explains the weight).

It will be interesting to see if CMBB takes into account the mobility effects of the wheeled carriage on the maxim. Presumably, the wheels would allow the maxim team to move significantly faster over open terrain, but might actually become an additional encumbrance in very close terrain where the wheels wouldn't roll well.

I look forward to discovering the answers myself.

Cheers,

YD

[edited 'cause the info on the website Parabellum ref'ed is probably more reliable than the stuff in my head. :rolleyes: ]

[ June 30, 2002, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: YankeeDog ]

I too would like to see it but I fear if we did that it would behave much like the 50 Cal. jeep meaning that if the enemy even looked at it it would be knocked out or abandoned. :( Anyway, that's what seems to happen to my 50 Cal. jeeps. I would like to see it in the game however. It's looks kick ass! Pretty expression ( kick ass ) isn't it? :D

lcm - it really has nothing to do with a Jeep-mounted MG. It is just mounted on a small, wheeled undercarriage, much like the HMG34/42 is mounted on a tripod. It may actually be smaller than these. The Jeep-mounted MG dies because of the vulnerability of the vehicle mount. In this case, there is little to nothing on the carriage that could get damaged to a degree to render the weapon unservicable.

Here might be a good place to ask if anyone knows if volokusha's (sled/boat type things) will be included with ski-troops, or factored into their movement capabilities..

From what I can gather from Winter Warfare: Red Army Orders and Experiences (translated by Welch) they were pretty common.

There was a light version (Volokusha No.1) that was used to tranport the DP plus ammo, and spare barrels. The MG didn't didn't have to be unpacked, it was strappped to sled in a firing position. The whole thing was drawn by the two man crew.

Maxims were transported in the same manner on slightly larger sleds, they were also set up to fired from the sled, these were drawn by three men.

50mm and 82mm mortars plus ammo were also transported on multiple sledges (not in firing positions).

I can remember reading somewhere that ski-troops will be included in CMBB, just wondering about the above... I always assumed that ski troops were very lightly armed, from the above book it appears they could pack a punch also...