CM - East Asia edition

I was wondering if people here think a future version of Combat Mission perhaps some several years down the road would be playable with the Japanese vs The Allies.

Would it be interesting enough a battlefield for people ?

It would be different from the European theatre in several ways:

- Jungle environment

- More Bunkers and mountain tunnels

- Lots of beach landings

I am not sure if the armour is interesting enough or whether it would be balanced.

Feel free to add more to the conversation on either side of the argument.

Cordially,

Maple

Tank battles probably wouldn't be very interesting and should take place rather seldom I think.

American arty hammering the japanese defensive positions and then a final assault wouldn't make for very exciting battles.

As much as I like the Pacific theater I doubt it would make for real interesting battles.

Marcus

Well the Asian theatre wasn't just US Marine invasions with massive naval bombardments, the Japanese did quite a bit of attacking at the start as well and there's also the war in Burma, Phillipines, New Guinea and China. Not to mention Khalkhin Gol (sp?).

I doubt we'll see it from BTS though, theu've said previously that they wouldn't be happy doing the war in the Far East as their area of expertise is the European theatre. We'll have to make do with Rising Sun a bit longer for tactical warfare in the East.

Originally posted by Firefly:

Well the Asian theatre wasn't just US Marine

Correct, there was a large invasion by the Japanese on one that pushed the Australians over a mountain range and the Japanese followed. The Australians fought so hard on the retreat that the Japanese were ordered back over the mountains. I believe the Australians followed them back.

In a sense guerrilla warfare.

The style of fighting in the Japanese islands seems to me to be a prequel to the Vietnam war.

Quite similiar in many respects.

Agreed that the CM engine wouldn't succeed for modelling interesting US Marines vs Japanese island battles, however memorable they may have been for those in them. Bunkers, caves and the like just aren't part of CM's scope. OTOH the Japanese campaigns in Burma, Philippines, Assam, Singapore etc could make for lots of interesting scenarios that could work with the game engine.

[ July 02, 2002, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

Certainly early war scenarios in the Pacific would be interesting. For example, the advance down Malaya by the Japanese would have a good example of how determined infantry can overcome larger numbers of green troops. Or how even what may seem pathetic tanks are painfully effective against troops without AT assets. Even a little tank with a 37mm gun and MG is a monster when you have no counter, whether Type 97 or Stuart.

It's not all jungles and islands; Kohima, Singapore, Kota Bharu, the whole damn Imphal campaign...

Admittedly one of the problems with the game would be that as the war advanced, the game would become painfully imbalanced. A single platoon of Shermans can slaughter a battalion of Japanese.

Originally posted by Triumvir:

Certainly early war scenarios in the Pacific would be interesting. For example, the advance down Malaya by the Japanese would have a good example of how determined infantry can overcome larger numbers of green troops. Or how even what may seem pathetic tanks are painfully effective against troops without AT assets. Even a little tank with a 37mm gun and MG is a monster when you have no counter, whether Type 97 or Stuart.

It's not all jungles and islands; Kohima, Singapore, Kota Bharu, the whole damn Imphal campaign...

Admittedly one of the problems with the game would be that as the war advanced, the game would become painfully imbalanced. A single platoon of Shermans can slaughter a battalion of Japanese.

A great example of that would be on Guadalcanal. I think the name of the battle was Alligator Creek or some thing like that. A whole battalion was slaughtered by a few Stuarts and and infantry support.