Towing guns?

Having played a recent scenario against an enemy with lots of Universal Carriers and AT guns, I was wondering how towing works.

I know from the manual that it can be done, but I don't know how it works.

Guns and vehicles both have transport classes - how do these affect what can tow what? Can a Carrier tow a 6-pdr? Can a jeep?

How long does it take to "embark" a gun? If in contact, is it best done under smoke, or is there just no way to limber a gun and run away while in contact?

The towing vehicle has to have an equal or higher transport class as the gun. Certain guns cannon be embarked onto a vehicle once they have been placed, IIRC they are: all 3 German 88mm guns, and the American 90mm gun.

Smoke will certainly help you to embark a gun while in contact w/ the enemy. Besides preventing direct fire, it can switch an FO's fire to the "out of LOS" pattern, which is less accurate. Smoke rounds from tanks are great for this...accurate, and a quick response time.

Jeeps can tow some of the smaller guns, going from memory they can certainly tow 57mm/6 pdr guns. Univ.Carriers also have a 6 for transport class...they move much move quickly off-roads b/c they are tracked, plus they're armored so they won't die from small arms fire. Such vehicles are also great for moving mortars around, esp. my fav the 3" mortar.

As long as the towing vehicle has a rating equal or higher than the unit, it can be towed. So a jeep can tow a 6lber.

Embarking takes a while but depends on how far the gun has to move to hitch up and experience and incoming fire etc.

Also remember that once in position it takes a while to setup again

And now I look foolish as someone posted while I was trying to find the w key :D

[ August 30, 2002, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Cpl Carrot ]

I wonder if anyone tried that in Stand of the Strong. I guess that's part of what defines us as newbies. smile.gif

By the way, I think I'm the newbie with the lowest member number. I've been on this board since the beta came out, but I only finally bought the game in June. redface.gif

Cpl Carrot is right, "unlimbering" the gun when you disembark it from the transport can take far longer than you bargained for, altho it must be linked to the size of the gun.

Something small like a recoiless rifle might only take 1 minute, while an 88mm FLaK may take 4 long minutes.

Here is is long it take allied guns to embark on a M3A1, drive 200m, go 10 meters and fire. Time of first shot given in turn:sec, which means you need to subtract one to get the time in min:sec.

60mm mtr 2:45

3" mtr 3:09

81mm mtr 3:17

6pdr AT 4:10

57mm AT 4:23

25 pdr 4:23

17 pdr AT 6:32

105mm how 7:44

76mm AT 6:42

40mm AA 7:18

The 25pdr is obviously a sweet spot.

It never occured to me that a Jeep could tow a gun - thanks guys, that'll be useful.

I did some towing of guns in the Newbie tounament Ready for the Fray, because I guessed those Universal Carriers had been supplied for a reason......... smile.gif .

Len

[ August 31, 2002, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Len ]