Russian for travelers

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

I've played the game enough that I've picked up certain phrases, but I don't know what they mean.

What is "Davai, davai!"

This is Goliath, shouting out for Davey, so they can bring a message of Lutheran commonsense to all the watching children.

What is "Be istariliyete!"

This is Elvish. It means: 'A star shines on the hour when I was gut-shot'

Spelling is approximate. "Ogon!" is "fire," right?

No, it means 'all gone', and refers to the vodka ration. Shouting this drove the Russians into an ugly frenzy.

Hedges, a few more minutes with Bablefish could have easily spared you all this.

[ October 22, 2002, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Seanachai ]

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Hedges, a few more minutes with Bablefish could have easily spared you all this.

Oh, I live for this. smile.gif It's much more entertaining than Babelfish, and probably about as accurate.

But Russian is problematic. I know enough Russian (i.e., very little) to know that "davai, davai!" is probably "давай, давай!" But давай, давай means "give, give," which doesn't make any sense to me. :confused:

Your David and Goliath example is much more plausible...perhaps the Russians are comparing themselves to David? "Give, give" sounds more like what the Greeks would say at Troy, or at least the bold Achaians at Ilium :D ...but CM doesn't model horses, so that can't be it.

Edit: I tried "be istariliyaete" in babelfish and got "to istariliate" I think that there should be a verb "to istariliate," although I don't think that's what's in the game.

I think I will go istariliate now, though. :D

[ October 22, 2002, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Hedges ]

I've played the game enough that I've picked up certain phrases, but I don't know what they mean.

What is "Davai, davai!"

Ah, an excellent all-purpose Russian phrase, which will serve you well. The verb "davat'" has the root meaning of "to give", but can also mean "let's", in phrases such as "Let's go down the pub".

"Let's, let's" is not a terribly idiomatic translation, so I would say it translates as "Let's go", "Come on!", "Hubba-hubba", "Juldi", "Chop-chop", "Move it!", "Hup-two" or "Howay the Lads", depending on context.

I can't work out what that is supposed to be. "Strelitye" would be simply "shoot!"

[QB]

[QB]

Yup.

All the best,

John.

What is "Davai, davai!"

:confused:

I am not Russian, but I can read in this language.

"Davai, Davai" is idiomatic and means "Faster, faster" or "Let's go" in this context.

Another one is "Davai vperiod, rebyata" what is "Let's go, boys"

"Ogon" is the "Fire" command.

"Bystrey, bystrey" is "Faster, faster"

"Prekrotit ogon" is "Stop fire" command

I can try to listen to the WAV files and try to translate russian sounds. Obviously, a "real" Russian could do it better.

Straif

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

When I was playing Citadel Schwerepunkt I kept hearing the Red gun crews call out, "I'm a gecko!" which I thought rather odd, but it takes all kinds, I suppose.

Michael

Maybe they meant "Geico"...They want to get in touch with their insurance company.

Gyrene

Originally posted by Gyrene:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

When I was playing Citadel Schwerepunkt I kept hearing the Red gun crews call out, "I'm a gecko!" which I thought rather odd, but it takes all kinds, I suppose.

Maybe they meant "Geico"...They want to get in touch with their insurance company.</font>

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Michael

Hehe, If Russian are on the losing side, I think it may be "Pomogi mnye, pomogi!" what means: "Help me, help".

Straif