Does anyone know...

Does anyone know why when you put the game cd in your disk drive, it automatically begins the installation process? I can cancel it no problem but it's a little irritating as this happens everytime I start the game. I'm going " Start, Programs, & clicking on CMBO ". :confused:

Originally posted by Rob Murray:

Does anyone know why when you put the game cd in your disk drive, it automatically begins the installation process? I can cancel it no problem but it's a little irritating as this happens everytime I start the game. I'm going " Start, Programs, & clicking on CMBO ". :confused:

Here is a quick idea.

Verify your setting for the CD-ROM drive, and whether it is set for "auto-run" or not. It is possible that if the drive is set for auto-running CDs once they're loaded into the drive the drive is finding the setup.exe application rather than the combatmission.exe application. To prevent this from happening, try turning off the auto-run functionality for the CD-ROM drive.

Otherwise, I would recommend posting a message on the Combat Mission Technical Support forum.

My CMBO CD doesn't have the autorun.inf file which normally kicks off auto-run behavior. However, I do know certain older pieces of hardware (especially old Creative Labs stuff, some sound cards and their CD burners) used to come with "utility" software which had "enhanced" auto-run support -- if the inserted CD lacked an explicit autorun.inf, it would "helpfully" search the disc for a setup.exe or something similar.

I'm betting you have one of these helper apps installed.

Have a look in your system tray (down by the clock and volume icon), click or right-click the various icons and see if one of them has suspicious looking features on it's menu. Sorry I can't be more specific, it's been many years since I last saw the software I'm thinking of.

I think Zitadelle is on the right lines. I think your CD ROM is set to auto run and starting the installation process every time you insert it. If this is the case, you should find other software doing the same, I suspect.

Go to your control panel screen (you can access this from the start menu then the settings menu). Click on the system icon, and you'll get a list of stuff on your computer. CDROM should be near the top, select it, click on the properties button, then select the settings tab. I think there should be something there. It could be a tick box entitled "auto insert notification". Uncheck it, and I think (hope) you'll be okay.

The Internet-released version of CMBO does not autorun and install the game. The CDV-release does have autorun code on the CD and it will start running the installer when you insert the CD.

The 'autorun checkbox' that some people mention here is present in the CDROM/DVD listing inDevice Manager (System control panel), but I'm not sure if or where it exists for Windows 2000 & XP (to disable it).