Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Bad news about foxhole MOD. . .

Unless I am wrong I realized after I finished it and looked at it in the game that CMBB uses the same BMP for Fox Holes and large craters. Is this true? I made a foxhole MOD but when I opened the game up every crater and foxhole used the MOD not just the foxholes. If somebody knows a way around this please let me know.

Thanks!

Originally posted by MasterGoodale:

Unless I am wrong I realized after I finished it and looked at it in the game that CMBB uses the same BMP for Fox Holes and large craters. Is this true? I made a foxhole MOD but when I opened the game up every crater and foxhole used the MOD not just the foxholes. If somebody knows a way around this please let me know.

Thanks!

That is correct. Same bmp, just as it did in CMBO.

Does ANYONE have any ideas as to how to get around this?? The MOD looks really nice and I would really like to post it, but it doesn't make sense to pepper the map with sandbag ladden foxholes even when it should be a crater. Plus they have little belts of ammo in them as only a foxhole would (actually there are 3 versions, only one has MG belts)

Unless I am wrong I realized after I finished it and looked at it in the game that CMBB uses the same BMP for Fox Holes and large craters. Is this true?

Er, now that you mention it... Sorry I didn't remember this yesterday when the subject came up.

redface.gif

Michael

For what it's worth, I don't think foxholes or slit trenches were vary often augmented with sandbags in any event - the main reason to have a fighting position other than the cover it provides is concealment - big blobs of tan coloured canvas sticking out from the natural vegetation unfortunately defeats the purpose.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

For what it's worth, I don't think foxholes or slit trenches were vary often augmented with sandbags in any event - the main reason to have a fighting position other than the cover it provides is concealment - big blobs of tan coloured canvas sticking out from the natural vegetation unfortunately defeats the purpose.

That gets us back into how 'foxhole' is defined. If it is merely a hasty entrenchment, you are right. If it is intended to be something built over a period of more than an hour or two and—more importantly—intended for extended occupation, sandbags and other reinforcing materials (logs, boards, packed earth, even in some cases large rocks) were quite common. As for concealment, live and cut foliage, camouflage netting, etc. were widely used.

Michael

I'll have to also add the elements ME speaks of. He's right. I guess it will be up to the person using the mod (maybe if they are creating a map) which version they use. I personally plan to see the foxholes as slightly fortified and concealed positions. I'll add some natural cammo and cover elements. except for the rocks - when I was going through PLDC (School for Army NCOs) my instructor was constantly yelling at us because we were determined to use large rocks as cover. A ROCK IS NOT COVER!!! :mad: he use to yell, stating that bullets often ricochet around and break pieces of the rock off causing more damage than protection. I'll never get it out of my head. But I may add some small ones that appear to have been dug up with the dirt. ots of good ideas thanks fellas.

I'll add some natural cammo and cover elements. except for the rocks - when I was going through PLDC (School for Army NCOs) my instructor was constantly yelling at us because we were determined to use large rocks as cover. A ROCK IS NOT COVER!!! :mad: he use to yell, stating that bullets often ricochet around and break pieces of the rock off causing more damage than protection.

He was right. Nevertheless, troops did use them. Especially by the time CM gets to North Africa, sangers of stacked rocks were the norm in many places where the soil was a thin layer overlaid on top of a solid rock basement. It would have been impossible to dig in without explosives (which was done occasionally as well), so to have any protection at all, the soldiers gathered the flat rocks lying around on the surface and stacked them into gun pits and infantry fighting positions if they didn't have sandbags.

Michael