Help! Artillery calls are sometimes way off target. Bug?

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but during two different quick battles when I called in artillery this is what happened:

1. Artillery fell on far corner of map no where near where I designated the hits. In fact they were closer to my men than the enemies.

2. Artillery fell far western edge of map instead of right in the middle where I targeted.

3. With little mortar support guys. They reigned down their own mortar's just 20 yards from themselves instead of by the enemy.

I have read real life accounts where artillery was way off the mark (usually due to a mistake by the FO.) I wouldn't imagine that this should happen very often though. If I remember right didn't Squad Leader have a roll on the dice where your first shot actually landed off the map?

I don't know if BFC is purposely trying to simulate blunders or if it's bug though.

[ September 25, 2002, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: StellarRat ]

Maybe this is what happened to you also:

I had plotted 75mm german artillery over a hill, out of line of sight. It was about 300m to the hill crest (a big hill with a valley behind it) and then another 500m to my target area. So the rounds finally start to fall but they fall right on top of the hill crest!?!

Has this happened to anyone else? That was my first experience with arty where I could not see my target area.

Chad

The following is based on the last beta I had, so could well be different now. However....

If you do NOT have an LOS to the desired target point, arty can fall up to 400m off target. In my series of tests, the average was about 200-250m off target. I never got a hit with blind fire on the desired point UNLESS I had a TRP, or unless I used the arty as a 1st-turn barrage.

Morale to story: shooting arty blind is a COMPLETE WASTE unless you have a TRP.

Get used to it guys.... Arty in CMBB is WAY different from CMBO. In a nutshell:

</font>

• most delay times are significantly longer, especially for Russians</font>
  • FOs move slowly and can't shoot immediately after moving</font>
  • blind arty fire is useless unless pre-planned (Barrage or TRP)
    </font>

The moral to the story is, then, to put your FOs in good OPs and leave them there for the duration. Moving them only exaccerbates the already long delay times, thus taking them effectively out of play. And if they can't see some area of the map, you'd better hope you have a TRP there. If you lack both TRPs and extensive LOS for your FOs, or if your delay times are extremely long to begin with, it's best to just shoot as barrages and hope for the best.