Feedback on "Relieving the Rangers"

I recently played the above scenario PBEM vs. Black Sabot and got whupped--Axis Major Victory, with practically every American (228) a casualty (roughly a fourth killed) and 27 captured. Axis casualties were far less (167/28 KIA?).

The scenario was historical, the terrain bad for defense at the roadblock (too much cover for attackers--nullified the extra BAR) and good for the defenders on the relief column's path (plenty of cover, with long sight lines in critical areas and great mutual support).

In a nutshell, I repelled the initial attack on the roadblock, survived the encounter with German reinforcing armor (killed his, lost half of mine) and thought I could load up and really roll.

Wrong! The supposedly nullified German infantry, in spite of tank, infantry and indirect fires, refused to quit, pouring out so much fire that I had to debus the infantry and conduct a fighting withdrawal in order to advance...which is when I ran into his main defenses.

Boom! Flaming tank. Infantry sent to the right flank is demolished by direct fire from the tank immolator and harried by infantry fires. Plan B is to move up through the woods on opposite side of road, but only HQ and a squad are available, since I'm still trying to break off behind me. That force runs into a force much larger than itself and in spite of heroic effort, including committing otherwise doomed tank crews, is killed virtually to the man. Supporting this effort also cost me a tank abandoned after a gun hit from something on the other side of the road.

Meanwhile, with all kinds of combat going to the front, my last tank took a Panzerfaust from the German force to my rear and died. Thus perished the relief column, less a squad remnant, a crew remnant and a not-so-sharpshooter (no kills) who tried to get back to the Ranger roadblock but were captured still en route when the game ended.

Aside for some map fires which didn't knock out the tank immolator and were sorely needed later, things were quiet at the roadblock.

Some German armor was briefly heard, the odd squad seen; then all hell broke loose. Mortar fire rained down, armor appeared out of nowhere, and the woods erupted with hordes of Germans. Squads were blown from their foxholes by armor fires, and I was under attack from multiple directions simultaneously, sometimes as much as two platoons against a single Ranger squad. Bazookas stopped some of his armor, but were blasted to extinction or overrun for their pains. Artillery fired practically on top of my own positions shredded the German troops, but there were too many, over too large an area to stop them, a situation made worse by running out of artillery fire and by an M1919 on my left flank which jammed early and wouldn't clear. This saved many German lives which otherwise would've been ruined by close-in MG fire.

Both Black Sabot and I know that the Americans won the real battle and that two tanks (and some infantry?) actually reached the roadblock. What we don't know is how.

I gather from something Wild Bill said to me in an E-mail that I took too long in the reinforcement battle and that this cost me. Maybe so, but if the main defense position is already there, it almost doesn't matter what shows up later. The AAR was a real shock, because then I got to see the full tactical picture. Can you say nightmare? That town was a miniature Stalingrad, and we haven't even discussed some countermobility capabilities I knew nothing of.

Would someone who knows the story of the real battle please tell us what happened, post a link or something? Black Sabot and I would LOVE to know how the Americans pulled it off. Legions of angels flying top cover all the way, perhaps. Or brave and lucky?

Perplexedly,

John Kettler

*************** POSSIBLE SPOILER **********

John,

I played this scenario in the testing phase, and I was able to get several tanks to the roadblock and was successful in reinforcing the troops there.

I got lucky and knocked out the German tanks that were there. I also got a lucky shot on the gun. After that, I was able to move onward to the roadblock.

I don't have knowledge of the real battle, but it can be accomplished.

------------------

"Battle is not a terrifying ordeal to be endured. It is a magnificent experience wherein all the elements that have made man superior to the beasts are present: courage, self-sacrifice, loyalty, help to others, devotion to duty." - Patton

I played against the AI. It was tough without a doubt, but I was successful on the second go.

I'll have to admit that a PBEM against a live opponent would probably been a lot different.

Great scenario in my mind though...tough as hell but great none the less.

------------------

"Battle is not a terrifying ordeal to be endured. It is a magnificent experience wherein all the elements that have made man superior to the beasts are present: courage, self-sacrifice, loyalty, help to others, devotion to duty." - Patton

SPOILERS

X

X

X

XX

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

I did this one in a PBEM. I was Axis. The relief column actually had two tanks RACE through my town and get near the Rangers, but mass Schreck fire killed one and the other one actually fought for 30 seconds before tons of infantry rushed it.

As for getting to the roadblock. Well, even though you need to go fast, you should still have some recon. Send half squads RUNNING ahead and if they get shot, be ready. Don't go down the road with the Flak, and send scouts ahead to look for mines

The actual account of the fighting is found in a few books. Let me recommend "The Last Offensive" (US Army in WW2, pages 130-132)

This is the most detailed account of the action I could find. I won't quote the entire section, but the last para states:

"By midmorning, despite long-range fire from the same Tiger that had caused trouble in Irsch, contingents of the combat command reached the Rangers. Hard-pressed by shelling and counterattacks, during the second day and third morning in their isolated position, the Rangers had not only managed to survive, but also had bagged about 100 German prisoners." (page 132).

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com