PC user, problem hosting Live Game v Mac user.

Hi,

This is something that has gone on for a while and has now been narrowed down.

My system. Windows XP, Service Pack 1, Firewall turned off. Norton AntiVirus Script Blocking, Email Scanning, Auto-Protect all turned off.

I find I can host a game against another PC user, but not against Mac users. The connection is made OK, the screen says “uploading scenario details” but nothing happens. It just stays like that.

Any suggestions what the problem may be?

Thanks for any help that may be forthcoming. smile.gif

All the best,

Kip.

Is this with one Mac user or every Mac user you've tried to host ? What Mac and what OS is the Mac user(s) using ? Are they connecting via modem or a high-bandwidth device ?

Does this Mac user have problems TCP/IP'ing anyone else, Mac or PC ?

[ March 02, 2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Hi Schrullenhaft - the Mac user in question is me. There is another Mac user involved too though with problems, which makes me think it maybe Kip's rig that is the problem.

I have no trouble connecting to anyone else, and played a TCP game yesterday without restarting the machine after the attempt with Kip failed.

Tech spec:

OS 9.2.2, G4/400 CMBB 1.02, DSL connection, no firewalls I am aware of, no proxy, no anti-virus software running.

Hmmm... I'm not sure why this should be a special case with Macs. Generally I would be under the assumption that if you could hook up to a PC user, you should be able to hook up to a Mac user when it comes to CM.

Kip, what software/processes do you have running when you try to make a connection ? What version of Norton (Anti-Virus ?) do you have running ? Do you have any other firewall software running on your PC ? How do you hook up to the Internet (modem or high-bandwidth device) ? Have you been able to TCP/IP anyone else since attempting to play with Andreas ? If Andreas acts as 'host' do you still have connection problems ?

Schrullenhaft, hi,

Thanks for taking an interest. I will try to answer all your questions. Happily, Andreas, the guy against whom most of my attempted live games with Mac users have happened, has joined us on this thread.

“Kip, what software/processes do you have running when you try to make a connection?” I do not think I have any running. I turn off the Firewall and Norton Antivirus 2002. The Firewall is the standard one included in Windows XP.

“How do you hook up to the Internet (modem or high-bandwidth device)?” I hook up to the internet using a manual connection in Windows XP. So I just construct the connection in Windows XP myself in the usual way. Title for the connection, number to be used, user name and password… all the usual stuff as asked for by Windows when you manual make your own connection.

“Have you been able to TCP/IP anyone else since attempting to play with Andreas?”

Yes, with a PC user a couple of times, no problems. I turn off the Windows Firewall, I turn off Script Blocking and Email Scanning in Norton AntiVirus, I never have Auto-Protect on.

As I write, I do remember that I use Go-Zilla, so I will turn that off and then try again v Andreas. Could Go-Zilla be the problem, a download utility?

Andreas cannot act as host; his ISP will not allow it.

Thanks again for your interest in the problem.

All the best,

Kip.