War and Peace show - pictures now hosted (large pics!)

Notes:

I have no idea what the big bastard thing is. I labelled them as best I could, but if I'm wrong, then tell me.

I do have a huge wodge more pictures, in much better resolution, but I'm on a 56k modem.

A quick taster for those who found it too much effort to click on the link:

I want this to be modelled for CMBB:

JeepwithRRresized.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this is and where it would have been used?

ARVShermfrontfresized.jpg

A little pressy for the Bren Tripod brigade :D

Brentripodresized.jpg

An extremely rare vehicle - a 6-wheel jeep, and this is the only runner in the UK:

6wheeljeepresized.jpg

I felt that this model of the jeep was somewhat undergunned:

Khakijeepwithlo_gunsresized.jpg

Can someone tell me what guns I'm looking at in this picture?

GermanATweaponsresized.jpg

My favourites are:

1) This classic motor vehicle:

Renault4camo.jpg

2) The finest example of the German Army's fighting force:

Creamofthegermanarmyresized.jpg

For the Modders:

I have high-res close-up shots of:

Jackson

Chaffee

Sherman

Greyhound

Hellcat

T-34

20mm Flak

37mm AT gun

120mm mortar

Halftracks (both sides)

Universal carriers

Jeeps

Hetzers

If you need any shots, email me.

For everyone else - let me know what shots you want to see (I have a few more of most of them) and I'll get Gyrene to put them up.

Finally, a photo of Simon Elwen (left) and Anthony Vickers (right) cuddling up to a halftrack - yours for only £4,000.00 (the halftrack, not the lads). They were kind enough to buy me food and drinks after I gave them a lift to the hop farm - even after they had to suffer my driving :D

GermanHT2frontw_mugsresized.jpg

I am using Hot Billy's Top Smack for the grass in all the pictures.

The girls are sitting on my face - hence the blurriness of some of the pictures.

[ July 22, 2002, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Soddball ]

The jeep with the RR is a M151 MUTT with an 106mm Recoiless Rifle.

It was used during Vietnam and is still in the inventory for special circumstances when a Humvee won't do:

During Desert Storm we got several Mutts out of mothballs, armed them with TOW missiles and flew them into Kuwait City International in CH53's, 2 mutts at a time.

Humvees wont fit in any US helicopter and external loads cut the speed of a helicopter in half.

Gyrene

Sodball:

"Can someone tell me what guns I'm looking at in this picture?"

The one in back looks like a 75mm PaK 40 to me (unless I'm all balled up and it's actually a 50mm PaK 38). And the one in front is a 37mm PaK 36(?) with the hollow-charge blahblahGranatsomethingsomething fitted to the muzzle.

There. That help? Now about the young ladies...

:D

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I kinda thought it looked like an ARV of some sort, but since it was missing the crane and tackle...

I have this funny feeling that I've seen a picture of it somewhere, but not strong enough to bet on.

Michael

It's the Sherman BARV (Beach Armored Recovery Vehicle), it has a winch at the rear and had a diver as a crew member.

It was used under fire during the actual landings.

Gyrene

Unfortunately I missed the show so appreciate the chance to see the pics.

Last time I went there were several nippy Stuarts (one for sale), a temperamental Churchill & a cute lil' Panzer II that I recall at the moment, in addition to the ones listed. Any of those there this year?

There was also the Prime Mover (Sdkfz 7 ?) which stole the show for me, I never realised how big they were.

Did you get the firing demos as well? 25pdr, 17pdr, and the battle scenes. SPR & Vietnam IIRC.

One other thing, if that Tiger is the same impressive beast as was present last year, then it is the one made for Band of Brothers and is based on a T-55 chassis. Just wondering.

Looks like another good show - I'll be back sitting on the embankment, beer in hand, watching them roll around the arena next year. See you there guys.

[ July 22, 2002, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Rex_Bellator ]

Rex - they also had a pair of Churchill flamethrower tanks there - I didn't get any photos because of the numbers of people climbing all over them. There was only one Stuart that I spotted this year.

There wasn't a Panzer II that I could see, but there was a Panzer IV without skirts - although it was in the middle of the arena so I couldn't get any closeups.

I believe the Tiger is the same one as last year.

The firing demos were good, as were the re-enactments (they had a Vietnam one, a Normandy landings one and a couple of others). One of the blasts in the main arena was meant to simulate an airstrike, and even 200m away we got hit by the heatwave!