How do you use half trucks and armored cars?

Gentlemen,

I’m still struggling with the best use for half trucks (HT) and armored cars (AC), and would like to hear how you use them in battle. There are three possible uses I can think of, but none is ideal:

1. Infantry transportation – the classic mission of the half truck. But the arena in CM is too small to justify real use of this function. In most cases (but not always), it would be safer to have the infantry move by foot, rather than making them a sitting duck for personal AT weapons, tanks, etc. by transporting them in a half truck.

2. Infantry support – think about the HT/AC as an MG on wheels. This is very useful when moving towards enemy, with high likelihood of contact. However, HT/AC can’t be used effectively in woods, urban or hilly areas, due to the risk of AT weaponry. The enemy rarely sits in on a plain waiting for you, so again the use of HT/AC is limited.

3. Recon – Not the ideal recon vehicle, due to its size and speed, HT/AC can be used for that purpose. But again, due to the size of the arena, there’s little room for recon in CM. The situation isn’t of “is there enemy near by?” but more of “We know the enemy is very near, where is it located?” To do that you need more of a trailblazing infantry platoon, rather than light and quick recon platoon (typically, recon moves couple of miles ahead of a progressing battalion to identify threats).

The result is that HT/AC (unless have AT capability) are either sacrificed to detect AT weapons or stay behind for the most of the battle, until it is safe to go.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Guest Germanboy

It is a bit like the question how hedgehogs procreate: very veyr carefully.

Using them in an overwatch position and for firesupport is usually quite good. Try to keep them out of LOS to positions where OPFOR might have support weapons (e.g. M2 HMG, mortars). Once you have fixed an enemy position they are very good as suppressive long-distance weapons. Or use them to area-fire at houses, suppressing arty FOOs on upper floors etc.

------------------

Andreas

I love HT's and use them for a variety of roles.

In meeting engagements, they let you take the contested ground quickly by transporting infantry to the prime cover. The machine guns also let you secure the flanks of your firebase where cover is not necessarily available. Remember, mg's should be placed on flanks where they can best take advantage of overlapping fields of fire. Having them on a mobile platform allows you to quickly define the shape and orientation of your firebase.

The second (and far more entertaining) way I like to use HTs is to fast move them to firelanes that can deny the enemy territory, reinforcement, or avenues of retreat. If, for instance, you have a group of infantry in a clump of woods that you are trying to dig out, fast move your ht's to the rear of their position, establish a firebase to the front, and pound the hell out of them with artillery. They will have the unpalatable choice then of having to advance into your firebase, sit tight and get pounded by artillery, or retreat into machinegun fire. I've seen entire companies evaporate within minutes this way.

Hope this helps.

Actually they work pretty well as transports even when getting shot at. With the 1.05 patch trucks take about as much punishment as Halftracks took in 1.03. Advance a platoon of infantry in halftracks. You can get past an open area relatively safely, just KEEP moving. Dismount when you get near enemy infantry

All the points made about HTs are good ones. As for ACs, I tend to use them for recon and flanking moves. When dealing with tank colums I try to have each colum (a platoon or so) preceded by an AC. The ACis the first thing to get shot at. Its small size and high speed make a hit unlikely (especially from infantry AT weapons) and if it is hit... oh well, its only an AC! (I am not popular with my AC crews) Once I have advanced and my tanks are in contact with the enemy I use my ACs for flanking manuvers. If they can move in to rear areas they can kill of infantry (especially german ACs) or armor (especially Allied ACs). Even better, the enemy has to devot a tank to chasing them around the back country. Admitedly, with these strategies ACs don't last long, but they make the rest of my force much more effective and they occasionally wrack up impressive kill totals.

--Chris

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've grown quite fond of using MG Jeeps. These little boogers are quick, quiet, and pack a nice punch. I'm playing a pbem game now, got a couple of these when setting up, and had a great time with them. I used them in a pair, the first one was on a 'fast' moving setting out doing recon, and the second, I had moving between 'fast' and 'move'. Jeep #1 didn't last too long, came too close to an enemy firebase located in a heavy building. However, Jeep #2 took out 2 half tracks and double digit enemy infantry casualties before being demolished by friendly artillery fire. BTW, if anyone wants to start an email game w/me..please feel free!

------------------

"NO! There is no try..DO..or do not!"

~Yoda, Empire Strikes Back 1980

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanilla Thunder:

However, Jeep #2 took out 2 half tracks and double digit enemy infantry casualties before being demolished by friendly artillery fire.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In reality, orchestrating suppressing and assault fire is a tough and risky job for any commander. In CM, however, suppressing fire miraculously ceased whenever the assault force was close enough to target. It happened on both sides, for example: enemy mortars stopped shelling friendly infantry whenever they moved into enemy foxholes (so that mortar fire won't risk own defending forces). Since it worked fine, I assumed it was taken care of by the TacAI, and never gave it a second thought smile.gif

Now this worries me. Are you sure the Jeep was destroyed by friendly arty? Maybe it was one of those invisible AT guns? Did you check "kills"?

Guest Michael emrys

My personal observation is that it's easy to get hit by friendly artillery fire.

Also, I've noticed that if a friendly unit is providing suppressive area fire, it won't check fire when a friendly unit moves into the area. Learned that one the hard way too.

Michael