A consideration for those who design operations

A consideration for those who design operations:

There seems to be a real shortage of medium and small operations in CM:BB. Are there any designers out there who are currently designing this size operation? If not, are there any designers who are considering creating small to medium size operations? I would be most interested.

You brought up a good point, I know this would probably be a huge OP, with a lot of battles to it, but I was wondering if anyone was wanting to do a OP on "Operation Citadel", I wouldn't know the first thing about doing one. I have read the book and there were a lot of armor engagements in that operation

I am not sure how CMBB "sizes" operations, so it is difficult to say exactly how this is judged, but consider this:

An operation has to contain sufficient forces to fight a number of CMBB engagements. This means that the forces either need to be large enough to last through several battles themselves, they need to receive reinforcements (and often substantially so), and/or they need to have reserves assigned to ensure a level of balance can be attained should an early battle go too much for or against one side.

As far as I can tell, the game considers all of these units - both starting, reinforcing, and potential reserves - in determining scenario size. For me, the size of an operation generally mushrooms over time as the development process continues. I have sat down on several occasions (both in CMBB and CMBO) and attempted to design an operation that weighs in at or under "medium" in size, and I have not yet ended up with anything that I am happy with.

Still working on it, though. :D

Scott

Scott pretty much got it right. Best I have ever got close to is medium (dergratschi roadblock), but conditional reinforcements threw it into large.

Also note that fortifications also count as units in the size category. There is an op I once did that was "huge" before a single fighting unit was placed on map.

WWB

Originally posted by wwb_99:

Also note that fortifications also count as units in the size category. There is an op I once did that was "huge" before a single fighting unit was placed on map.

Well if it didn't weigh much more afterwards, then I'd like to know which one that is, wwb.

I don't know what OP is asking for, but for me the sense of "Huge" which prevents me personally from playing most ops is the having-a-bazillion-troops Huge, so many that I would be clicking for years to take a turn, if my little iBook didn't burn up trying to render them first.

But "cost" or "overall" hugeness, which doesn't impact on my CPU or the number of clicks-per-turn, that is not a concern, for me, maybe neither for OP? Just a thought.

It would be nice if we could tell the difference beforehand, between CPU & Click Huge, and Overall Force Huge... smile.gif

Eden

[ November 23, 2002, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Eden Smallwood ]

Good points have been raised, and I must say that I consider "Dergratschi Roadblock" and "Magnuszew Bridgehead" to be eminently playable. But they are certainly the largest size operation (and battle for that matter) that I would enjoy playing. For me it is not the map size that is the problem, just the piece density: I, for one, do not want to manage a battalion’s worth of assets.

And since one tends to loose a fair amount of equipment in most battles of an operation, I do not mind the “size” of the operation reflecting the reinforcements (i.e., I don’t mind a “large” operation if that operation is “large” based upon reinforcements that will trickle into the operation over, say, ten battles.

I guess I would just like to say to those people who do design operations, please try to make more medium/large size operations. There are those of us who are very fetched with them!

Small operations?

As scotty said, difficult to do. Another consideration is that you cannot reduce the size of the map below 1200 meters (for the one dimension that I recall) this gives you a rather large empty map.

I had started planning for a series of operations, one at the platoon level, company level then battalion but ran across to many problems.

Operations tend by their nature to LARGE.

However I think a medium sized one battle operation is possible, I have one in the planning stage involving an "advance" operation against an anti-tank ditch based defense in Western Ukraine in 1944.