Need help with CMBO and XP service pack 2

Hoping somebody can help me here... XP's service pack 2 contains the 328310 hotfix, so I'm unable to uninstall it to fix the black screen upon startup of CMBO with my Gforce3 Ti200 vid card. So far, my only workaround has been to rollback my Nvidia drivers to ver. 30.82, which of course means my drivers will be out of date for other games. Is there another solution?

Computer Specs:

Athlon XP2000

Albatron KX400+ mobo

256 Mb Ram

Xstasy Gforce3 Ti200

Windows XP Home SP2

I get a similar problem when running CMBO in XP(SP2). My graphics card is an nVidia 6800Ultra using the latest nVidia drivers. When you start CMBO it does not go to the game start up menu and does not play the intro music. It just iconizes to the desk top. When you open the icon you are faced with a black screen. You then have to remember where on the screen the menues are, and then when you select a task like scenario editor, no problems then on. I think it maybe that CMBO intro is not the correct format for the media player in XP, and therefore can't play the intro or load the startup screen.

Yes, this is probably an Indeo codec playback problem. To avoid this, launch CMBO and then quickly press the Shift key. I don't believe it will work if you are holding the Shift before launching CMBO. This keystroke should tell CMBO not to play the intro movie every time you launch it. This setting is saved in the Prefs file, which if you delete it will require you to perform it again to turn off the movie.

This forum has some links to some older indeo codecs that should hopefully work, otherwise you would need to play US$14.95 to get the XP version from Ligos (the current copyright holder). I'm not sure if this particular Indeo codec download is fully legal or timed demo ware, but it is a newer version.

[ April 26, 2005, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

• 8 months later...