Decrypting PBEM Files - I can do it!

And so can you...

Take an encrypted PBEM file, put it into your PBEM folder in your CMBO directory, then load up Combat Mission. Hit "Join Multiplayer Game", load up your encrypted file, then type in your password.

And voila! Decrypted! tongue.gif

WELL...I never said you could see what moves your opponent made... :D

Oh dear. I've lost you. :( If you could decrypt someone's file you could - with some fiddling about - see their positions since your computer takes it into account during play.

However, your CM exe decrypts it, just doesn't show you what your enemy does.

Silly joke on my part. Sorry.

2_00_nicholson.jpg

Originally posted by Stixx:

Why would you want to cheat like that?

I have to say that I think this is a bit of an unfair question.

C. could be of the puzzle-solving type who is simply interested in the matter as such.

He could also be concerned about the possibility of others cheating him.

So I don´t think posting about a topic like this is entirely illegitimate.

...which again raises the interesting question whether post quality is reciprocal to size of member number.

and which brings to my mind the question (and cold fear) what the content of the posts of member #10,000 will be.

[ June 27, 2002, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: M Hofbauer ]

Uh Folks,

I think the post was a joke.

He was saying that if you opened your OWN file up with your password, it would enable you to see the turn.......

That's what you do whenever you open a PBEM file, he was just joshin' ya.

Originally posted by karch:

Uh Folks,

I think the post was a joke.

He was saying that if you opened your OWN file up with your password, it would enable you to see the turn.......

That's what you do whenever you open a PBEM file, he was just joshin' ya.

thumbs.up.jpg

THANK you! Someone understands... :(

[ June 27, 2002, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Capricornelius ]

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

...which again raises the interesting question whether post quality is reciprocal to size of member number.

and which brings to my mind the question (and cold fear) what the content of the posts of member #10,000 will be.

Did you get up with the wrong foot today?

Probably C. was joking, but say he did discover a cheat, this would be important info for the CMBB crew. Hardly irrelevant.

If your theory is correct, the quality of the posts by member number 10,000 will be slightly worse than those of member 9999, and just a little bit better than those of 10,001.

I hope this helps.

smile.gif

hmm... with your member number in mind and the quality of this your post given, I'd say you yourself have prooven your theory to be false tongue.gif:D

Capricornelius - thanks for your excellent hint. I used it and it was the first time I won a PBEM battle. Was that gamey....? :confused:

[ June 28, 2002, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: Ozzy ]

Hmm, this works for me.

I actually know my member number, and I've been reading the posts of Hofbauer since before I even had a member number, and the disparity between what he's had to say and what I've had to say is consistent with our relative placement in the scheme of things.

And, because my member number is below the 1500 mark, I did notice, within seconds, that the purpose of this thread was to be humourous.

Of course, my lower member number also allowed me to very quickly discern that it wasn't a particularly interesting joke.

Comedy level almost nil.

On the other hand, because my member number was over the 1,000 mark, I did derive a few moments of happy laughter from the number of people who showed up to not understand that a joke, however stupid, was even being made.

In truth, while my member number is often extremely useful to me in terms of figuring out what is happening here on the Forum, and putting it into proper perspective, I am often left somewhat perturbed and uncertain when I attempt to use it as a reference point with those whose member numbers are even lower and more impressive.

Sometimes I agonize for hours over whether 'my' interpretation of a post, or the information it presents, is quite in line with 'the truth'.

Often, I only feel comfortable actually debating and discussing things with people within about '200' or so of my own number.

I begin to quiver with anxiety when I feel the need to reply to anyone who's member number is more than 500 less than my own.

Of course, for all you tossers with member numbers over 5000, I'm completely comfortable with going to your homes and killing your pets while singing show tunes and telling your children they're ugly and stupid.

And when I fall asleep at night, I often think to myself:

I wonder if M. Hofbauer likes me. I mean, does he really like me, as if I were a person?

Personally, I think that anyone with member numbers up to and including, say, 1090 is by necessity an anorak, while anyone with a member number from, say, 1092 upwards is a Johnny-come-lately. Neither group has anything worthy to say as far as the future development of the game is concerned. They are, by definition, not worth listening to.