ASL PBEM Scenarios

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ksak:

The ASL site is a knock-out. How are the PBEM scenarios?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It varies: twice now, my TPIP opponent has requested that we drop the game because it didn't look interesting. The latest one (forgot the name), my opponent sat on a hill with bunkers and I attacked on 3 sides. After a while he got bored of doing nothing and requested to start another.

On the other hand, some are great, and there are plenty of them.

Rune's collection is also good; I don't know where to get them excpet on the CMHQ chat forum. You ask and he mails the zip file.

Henri

I just finished a pbem with Scott Orr with "Prelude to Breakthrough". No spoilers but Scott has some comments on this one. May be we shall start a new thread on this one.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

I love the ASL site, but I have had major issues with play balance on some of the scenarios. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but it seems like most of the ones I have tried have been somewhat or very unbalanced for head-to-head play. A friend and I tried the Market Garden series, but had to give it up. I also tried one of the paratrooper pack scenarios TCP/IP (Defiance on Hill 30?), and found myself attacking dug in paratroops with a basically inferior German force. In the Market Garden game (Tettau's Attack, I believe), I even went back and re-played the scenario against the AI and couldn't win!

Just 3 Little Stuarts is a fun little battle, but even the briefing states it is tough to win as US against a human, yet it is marked PBEM$ in the pack.

Maybe the units don't translate well all the time, or the FOW and digging in give too much of an advantage to the defender sometimes. Or maybe it's just me and the guys I play against?

You can get Rune's scenario pack at the Manx's Combat Missions site (another very nice resource).

Yes, my scenarios are posted on Manx's site:

http://www.combatmissions.co.uk/

He combined the "A Matter of Honor" and "Rune pak 2" into one. I know cause he told me when is end him Rune pak 2 again. smile.gif

Rune Pak 3 is nearing completion. Bilgerat helped with a huge battle, helping with the British TO&E, and Mace helped me with maps,photos for wittman's last hour. As soon as Task Force Baum is tested, it will be ready to go.

Rune

[This message has been edited by rune (edited 01-18-2001).]

Like any site with scenarios there are going to be good ones and bad ones. Play balancing is always tough too because of varied styles of play and other factors. Many ASL scenarios are unbalanced in ASL but balanced in CM, while others are balanced in ASL and unbalanced in CM. I think this all goes to feedback and the general lack thereof. Not enough people e-mail a scenario designer or "converter" (in the case of ASL stuff) and give them some feedback.

I try to convert scenarios that are interesting to my friends and I and I don't really put much thought into the conversion other than to make it as true to the original as possible. It's mostly a case of my friend handing me a scenario card and some boards and saying "This one looks interesting ... convert that one and I'll take you on" and I will agree or disagree. I only give them to the ASL site so others can try them as they wish.

I have played (among others) The Cat's Den PBEM double blind, and can tell you that it is quite a challenge from both sides. Not for novices IMO, but I won't expand for FOW reasons... smile.gif

Recommended.

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

Guest Zaraath

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TexasToast:

I love the ASL site, but I have had major issues with play balance on some of the scenarios.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Veghel Town and The Bridge are also very unbalanced, in favor of the Allies. Trench Warfare, otoh, was quite tense all the way up to the end.