Is This One Of Those Realism Features?

I'm playing a game where I have a platoon of men in a clump of woods that is being patrolled by my opponents's halftrack. One of my sqauds for the past two turns has refused to obey my "hide" orders and instead gets up to prepare to shoot.

The thing is, they are the closest to the edge of the woods while the others are back in a little further. Do they just think they are going to be spotted anyway and are merely preparing to retalliate? Why are they refusing the hide orders?

Has your squad already traded fire with the enemy halftrack? Hiding them now might have little effect, as they are already detected. You might want to run them back out of sight, and then re-sneak them up to the front.

and/or

Have your platoon HQ set an ambush marker right in the middle of the woods, and HIDE your rebel squad, then have them target the ambush marker. Hopefully, the ambush marker's location will be far enough away from the enemy track that the halftrack won't trip the ambush, and your squad will remain hidden.

EDIT: This might have the effect of making your squad rotate to face the ambush marker (which is behind them most likely). You may NOT want that to happen. As any trouble to the front of their location would then require them to ROTATE back . . .

Gpig

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Gpig ]</p>

I've found troops can regularly get rattled when in very close proximity to armor.

Look at it this way. YOU are laying shivering in some leaf litter when an enemy HT suddenly appears spitting distance from your position. Would this be an appropriate moment to whisper "Holy Crap" and exhibit a classic "fight-or-flight" response?

CM fighting can be at VERY close quarters, and at these ranges (10 ft.?) the usual chain of command tends to break down.

Units only refuse to Hide when they are sure the enemy has them fixed and feel it is better to return fire than to just lay there. Inexperienced troops will be more likely to "freak out" and open up when more experienced troops would remain low.

It sounds like that in this situation your guys have decided they are not in a safe spot and therefore hiding is not a good option.

Keep in mind that the Hide order does not mean the guys dig a 3 foot hole in the ground or hide under a big rock. It mostly means trying to prevent being seen by the enemy. Therfore, when it looks to them as if hiding is impossible the Hide order is routinely ignored because. Kinda makes sense when you think about it that way smile.gif

Steve

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Units only refuse to Hide when they are sure the enemy has them fixed and feel it is better to return fire than to just lay there. Inexperienced troops will be more likely to "freak out" and open up when more experienced troops would remain low.

It sounds like that in this situation your guys have decided they are not in a safe spot and therefore hiding is not a good option.

Keep in mind that the Hide order does not mean the guys dig a 3 foot hole in the ground or hide under a big rock. It mostly means trying to prevent being seen by the enemy. Therfore, when it looks to them as if hiding is impossible the Hide order is routinely ignored because. Kinda makes sense when you think about it that way smile.gif

Steve<hr></blockquote>

Thanks Steve, I kinda figured this was the reason. The squad is regs and they are in command (not sure of bonuses) but they were indeed trading fire before with the halftrack and buttoned it up. The halftrack has since stayed buttoned and it seems they have lost sight of me but my men apparently don't think so. Anyway, I'm crawling them deeper into the woods and will try the hide order again...