hull-down-position without enemy contact

Hi to all!

If the enemy is behind a hill or just in the near of it it's easy to take a hull-down-position: just use the hunt command and your tank stops when only his gun has a LOS to the target - ok.

But how can i take a hull-down-position when there's no enemy in the near - then my tank will not stop at the right position at the top of the hill?

Can I only place my tanks with the help of the outside view? :confused:

Hafer out.

With the LOS tool I scan the place where I want to go hull down. The point on the LOS where the red line changes to black is in most cases the point where your AFV is going to be hull down.

In CMBB you have a command to go hull down. I haven't used it yet, so I don't know how good it is.

The LOS tool method only works if you're almost in position, otherwise, yuo just have to judge it by eye.

However, once in position, you can use the LOS tool to look at the point where you want hull down to. If you are hull down, the words 'hull down' appear by your tank. If you have a hull MG, it will also say 'hull MG blocked'

Originally posted by flamingknives:

The LOS tool method only works if you're almost in position, otherwise, yuo just have to judge it by eye.

However, once in position, you can use the LOS tool to look at the point where you want hull down to. If you are hull down, the words 'hull down' appear by your tank. If you have a hull MG, it will also say 'hull MG blocked'

I thought that only worked if you put the tool on an enemy unit. Does it work on empty terrain too?

Michael

In CMBO, getting a good hull down position is an acquired skill, one that cant be taught in words, but must be learned in the game. Gernerally for me in CMBO, when I do not have a specific target for my tank, I will never bring them out of hiding, hull down or not. When I have a target, that can take out my tank, I will hunt up the crest of the hill and they will usually stop and fire. Make sure that you also put into that a reverse command though. If they dont see the target, it moves, or whatever, then you tank wont drive up there and just stop!

Chad

Originally posted by Xinebbsa:

What exactly is 'hull down' and what is it for?

The condition 'hull down' means that, with respect to a certain coordinate on the map surface, that the tank has only it's turret visible from there (in other words, in line-of-sight, or 'LOS').

This makes for a smaller effective target, and the front turret face is usually the most highly sloped and armored facet of a tank (major exceptions: Panzer Mark IVs, and early model T-34 M40s, others anyone?). Generally, if you are hull down to an enemy tank and the enemy tank is not hull down to you, you have the advantage.

CM:BB, but not CM:BO, has a command called 'hull down' where you designate a point on the map, and the tank will trundle off at walking pace in a direct line, and stop (usually, there is a chance dependent upon crew experience level they will not stop at the proper place I think) when it is 'hull down' with respect to the designated point. In CM:BO, you can use the hunt command judiciously to put yourself in this position.

You can use the LOS tool to check if you are hull down wrt various map points during the orders phase; text will appear on your tank to let you know, and remind you that your bow machinegun, if you have one, cannot be brought to bear there.

Remember, if you have a number of enemies, being hull down wrt to one doesn't necessarily mean you are hull down wrt to the others.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> I thought that only worked if you put the tool on an enemy unit. Does it work on empty terrain too?

Yes, I think that it does - certainly if you've got a Hull MG, as it needs to tell you if you are area targeting - maybe only if you use the targeting tool.</font>

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

some comments to the usual practice to get into the hull-down position (with anenemy behind a hill):

If there is an enemy vehicle behind the hill use some hunt + move back commands.......

That doesn't work for my german tanks!

The first thing that happens is that a yellow line appear between my tank and the enemy (spotted) and now i have to wait a few seconds (and some meters!!!)till my tank stops and fires at the target (red line)but he isn't hull down!!

How can i accelerate the time between the yellow line becoming red?

Has sombody an solution for that?

Hafer out+++

Originally posted by Hafer:

(snip)

The first thing that happens is that a yellow line appear between my tank and the enemy (spotted) and now i have to wait a few seconds (and some meters!!!)till my tank stops and fires at the target (red line)but he isn't hull down!!

How can i accelerate the time between the yellow line becoming red?

Has sombody an solution for that?

Hafer out+++

Hello,

What most probably happens is that your *tank* has to detect the target. You, the player, know the ennemy is here, but your tank commander no. This lag is the time it take to detect the ennemy tank. It depends on crew experience and things like buttoned up (bad for detection) or unbuttoned, size of the target.

Sig

You can tell your tank to target the other one at the beginning of the turn, even if it's not in LOS. This helps a little - but will hurt if it unexpectedly has to target another tank. A moving tank has a spotting disadvantage compared to a stationary tank.

Why you didn't get hull-down - as your tank didn't spot the enemy right away, possibly it kept going past the hull-down position. Or maybe the hill is just the wrong shape, I dunno.

I think the targeting command, but not the LOS command, will tell you if you're hull down, even if it's an area target or an infantry unit.