Minefields

Quick background: I recently finished an unnamed operation as the Russians. It was raining and foggy(I'm assuming the ground condition were wet though I am not sure). In the first battle of that operation I stumbled across numerous German minefields.

Today I started it again as the Germans and saw the extent of the minefields on the map. I was suprised to see alot of minefields that I didn't even spot or have them go off, even though I had whole platoons running/advancing right over them. So my question is do the ground conditions play any factor as to whether or not minefields are triggered/detected (wet ground, rainy conditions) or did I just get lucky?

Are there false positives with regard to minefield spotting (similar to the overestimation of tanks)? I just played a new scenario and several minefields were spotted and marked by my lads. About 10 turns later, I was reviewing the area now behind my lines so I could move some heavier assets forward, and noticed that some of the fields had now disappeared.

Would pioneer units de-mine a field without specific orders to do so? They seemed to adjust and walk around them at the time, rather than work on them.

Actually, there is no way to give them specific orders to clear a minefield. There is also no way to prevent them from doing so.

It's just something that pioneers do when withn 20-30m of a minefield. You usually see them throwing demo charges at the minefield. After 1-3 minutes, it just disappears.

You may want to keep them away from any minefields that you don't want them to waste their time on.

Also, there is no real FOW on minefields in the mis-ID sense. You either see them or you don't and you always see them as exactly the correct type and location if you do. I have always thought that occasionally mistaking the location of minefields would be a great feature. As it is, you can just tiptoe around the edges of isolate fields without worry.

Originally posted by Slappy:

Actually, there is no way to give them specific orders to clear a minefield. There is also no way to prevent them from doing so.

Sure there's a way. Just keep a friendly within satchel blast radius of the field, ncluding the pioneer himself- if he's too close, he won't blow himself up. He's not a fool, you know. smile.gif If you keep a different friendly close to it, make sure it's not foggy at night...

Eden

Originally posted by DBaron:

Today I started it again as the Germans and saw the extent of the minefields on the map. I was suprised to see alot of minefields that I didn't even spot or have them go off, even though I had whole platoons running/advancing right over them.

You will always see your own mines on the map; you couldn't place them in setup if they were invisible. And it may be that your troops can't trip their own mines, but I don't know, I never tried it.