Jagdpanther, the ultimate weapon?

Originally posted by Dar:

"Tiger" is pronounced "TEE-ger" (like the Pooh character).

I may know nothing about the fuel consumption of German WW2 vehicles, but I do know that Tigger, the Pooh character, is pronounced with a short 'i' (rhymes with bigger) :D .

Originally posted by Foxbat:

Bastables> I'll try and find a source on that, I'm pretty sure I read on one of the Panzerfan-sites so my word is as good as theirs (which might mean anything oon the web :D ).

As for the mech. issues it certainly is a fine piece of engineering. Having neutral steer is good, it has very good ground pressure for it's size etc. But for dedicated AT-defence the JagdPanther is imho not only overkill (the lowly Hetzer giving more bang-for-the-buck) but also isn't the optimal solution mobility-wise coompared to the smaller vehicles.

And compared to other AFVs (the question was whether it was the ultimate AFV after all), well I'll take a turreted version anyday. Even if it means losing the 88 and some armor protection.

Find out his sources.

The Jadgpanther would not have been over kill versus the new MBT designs reaching the Allies IS II/III, Pershing's and Centurions. The deployment of up armoured Sherman’s and T 34-85 had already made 1000metre plus penetrations chancy for the KwK/StuK/PaK’s 7,5cm by late 44.

The Hetzer it self suffered especially from thin and poor quality armour and poor, cramped crew layout; the loader having to reach over the gun to load it etc.

You still missed the point that with its interleaved torsion bar suspension it could achieve higher top speeds than the T-34 cross-country and better by a wide margin than the Hetzer. The T-34 and the Cromwell porpoise serverly at high speeds, limiting achievable speeds cross-country.

[ November 04, 2002, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Bastables ]

Originally posted by Firefly:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dar:

"Tiger" is pronounced "TEE-ger" (like the Pooh character).

I may know nothing about the fuel consumption of German WW2 vehicles, but I do know that Tigger, the Pooh character, is pronounced with a short 'i' (rhymes with bigger) :D .</font>

Originally posted by Dar:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sirocco:

And just how do you pronounce that? I've always wondered. ;)

"YAHGD-pahnt-er" is probably the best phonetic English spelling I can come up with... The "J" is pronounced like a "Y". The "a" is pronounced like the "a" in "father". And "th" is pronounced as "t".

"Tiger" is pronounced "TEE-ger" (like the Pooh character).</font>

Originally posted by Sirocco:

[QBI know that "jabo" is pronounced more like "yahbo", but the "g" in "jagd" has always confused me. How do you pronouce the "G" part in your example?[/QB]

Yeah--"Jabo" = "YAH-boh".

"Jagd-" = "YAHGD" You pronounce the "G" and the "D" and it's all one syllable.

One nice thing about German, as opposed to other languages (like French especially), is that there are few silent letters. I feel sorry for people learning English as a second language when they encounter all our variations of "-ough", e.g. the Dr. Seuss book:

"The tough coughed as he ploughed the dough."

Such fun!