Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Can US engineers blow holes in bocage?

I love CM and think they did a great job with most things, but bocage is a bit problematic in several ways:

1) Engineers did blow holes in bocage in real life, but not in CM.

2) Once they came up with the right hardware for it, Sherman tanks could punch holes in bocage, but they would leave a large permanent hole that infantry could pour through or other tanks could use. Not in CM.

3) Bradley ordered that one in four US Shermans be equipped with rhino gear for the St. Lo offensive but the mechanics had limited time and were working with ad lib materials (such as scrap from Normandy beach obstacles) and didn't quite reach that goal. But in CM all US and British (and Polish and Canadian) tanks including TDs, have this facility, as I understand it. I don't believe anyone but the Ami's put on rhino gear in real life.

I'm sure BTS was aware of all this and simply found a more accurate modeling too complex to be worth it. Still, a more realistic handling would have been nice.

If you plot a course for an infantry to walk along the edge of bocage but plot your line too close, the infantry squad will try to walk head-on through the narrow band of bocage (as if it were walking on a very thick road) without ever taking a step to the side and walking in the clear.

That's maddening in practical terms and also confronts you with the fact that you're dealing with a game engine (which CM so magically manages to avoid in most circumstances.) I hope they fix this for CM:BB.