Resolution problem

MKV

I have a problem with my demo.

When I open the game it asks me to chooce my resolution but the first option is 640x480 75Hz.

That's the biggest resolution I get. I did install my drivers again and still the same problem.

I have nVidia 6800GT

Someone help me, please.

Which particular game is this CMBO, CMBB or CMAK ? What is your current "desktop" resolution ? Are you running one or two displays on this 6800GT ? Which Windows version is this ?

For CMBB & CMAK, the 640x480 resolution will not be enough to play the game. For CMBO however it will work.

Typically when CM is first launched it goes out and finds the current desktop resolution and uses that as a starting point. If it doesn't offer you this resolution, then CM can't find a hardware-level DirectX accelerator in the system (via the drivers). The CM series only requires DirectX 7.0 or later (8.1 is the default version that Windows XP comes with), however if you're using the latest video driver you'll want to match it to the appropriate DirectX version (which would be 9.0c or so). It's possible (though somewhat doubtful) that if the DirectX version and the video driver don't match, then the video may not behave as expected by CM.

If you've had a previous driver installed, you may want to go to the Add/Remove Programs control panel and remove that driver. In fact you may want to remove all instances of video drivers and install the version you want after that (with the required reboots in between). Possibly installing/reinstalling DirectX may help too.

As I was saying before when you launch CM it uses the current desktop resolution, but it will probably start at a refresh rate that is the maximum defined by the video driver (and not your monitor's capability, which may be exceeded). So if you're running at 1024x768 @ 75Hz vertical refresh, CM may start at 1024x768 @160Hz or whatever is offered by your particular Nvidia driver for the 6800GT. When this happens you just wait awhile for CM to automatically try the next lower refresh rate offered by the video driver. Once you reach 60Hz at a particular resolution, the next lower resolution is offered next, except it is again at the highest vertical refresh offered by the video driver at that particular resolution.

Of course this isn't the exact problem that you're running into. Hopefully uninstalling and reinstalling the driver you want may help with this.

Redwolf has pointed out a quick diagnostic I had forgotten to mention.

Go to the Start Menu > Run > type in dxdiag. This launches the DirectX Diagnostic. Once it's finished loading go to the Display tab and in the DirectX Features section make sure that all three features listed on the left side are enabled. If one or more of them are not enabled, then click on the button to enable them. Enabling a feature may require a reboot.

Other than checking the feature settings the main test to run here is clicking on the 'Test Direct3D' button. This will run a series of DirectX graphical tests (DirectX 7, 8 and 9) of a spinning cube. If you run into a problem with any of these tests, then something isn't quite right with the drivers or the DirectX install.