CMBB Review in German

Shep

Just for giggles, here's the Babelfished version:

Combat mission II: Barbarossa ton Berlin (CMBB) is a mixture from round a strategy play and a Echtzeit-3D simulation with the topic "2. World war - east front 1941-1945 ".

Historical background

On 18 December 1940 was issued in the "instruction NR. 21"Hitler's instruction to make the preparation for the" enterprise Barbarossa ". In June 1941 the campaign finally began. After initial successes general staff boss prophesied Franz Halder on 3 July 1941 euphorically that the war in the east will take still 14 days.

The high tendency of the first successful weeks changed in the late autumn 1941 in disillusionment. In three army groups the German troops had advanced Leningrad by September 1941 among other things until. The armed forces had to accept however despite large ground gains already early enormous losses. To deplore until August 1941 were already approximately 410,000 wounded ones, pleasure and missed one.

30 kilometers before Moscow the advance of the German troops came to succumbing. Chaotic planning, diverging strategic concepts and preparation lacking became now apparent. With the beginning of winter the German front was stopped.

On 22 June 1944 - the anniversary of the German over case on the Soviet Union - the Red Army began its summer offensive with an attack against the army group center, and drove the German soldiers toward homeland back. End of the yearly 1944 had reached and had partly already exceeded the front also in the east the borders of the German Reich. To the end of war finally Russian soldiers marched into Berlin.

Expiration, not intakes

The play principle is quite simple and reminded of the good old "Battle Isle" days or of" a simple "game of chess. Only set up, then round for round superior and act.

At first one has the selection between an infinite quantity more coincidence-generated or sixty prefabricated battles as well as ten operations. With the battles it concerns individual in each case maps, while operations are a consequence of up to ten maps. Here also battle-tested units may be drug along into the next "level". Everyone of these battles or operations can be played both on sides of the Axis powers and on sides Russender.

At the beginning of a battle one platziert on the battleground its soldiers and munition. Now the course phase begins. In this round section one can think in all peace over it, which unit one where to run is, or on which tank Ypsilon is to shoot.

Following this phase a Actionminute follows, in which after possibility all given instructions are implemented. This sequence can one with a kind Moviesteurung pre and rewind, so that one can look at oneself each Fassette of the battle. This is also bitterly necessary, if one did not like to also lose the overview with a battle of one hundred units per side.

Where milk and honey flow

The battlegrounds and units are represented with CMBB in a 3D environment. Who with this play however screen-filling or bang-multicolored diagram effects expected is here unfortunately wrongly at the place. The diagram engine was improved in relation to the first part, works however nevertheless somewhat dusty.

The maps in the play represent in predominant European rural areas during the summer and winter time, thus forests, meadows and fields as well as lakes and villages. With some scenarios also the goal manufacturing plants is to be conquered.

All in all the maps are very well investigate, from inspired players of the first part with much love for the detail provided. Thus a map is based on the historical topografischen map NR for example. 3844 Hennickendorf on a scale 1:25000 with the last modifications of 1941. Selbige map calls itself as "semi historically", since the truppenstaerken had to become partly estimated.

Opposite the predecessor still eight new area types were added. Weather effects such as rain, snow, cold weather have a still larger influence on the combat happening than with the predecessor.

Fatigue and mind condition make the behavior of the units on engagements conditions very realistically, just as the again introduced feature that soldiers think under bombardment too only of their surviving, as to its last instruction.

An exact list of all improvements opposite the predecessor is here .

For do-it-yourself enthusiasts

If the existing maps are not enough, or its own scenario to be provided is, represents the provided editor the best tool for many work-rich hours. With it very comfortably a close-to-reality map can be provided, which is then converted in the play in 3D-Umgebung.

In order to then fill these with lives, an extremely extensive unit menu is available, whose attentive view requires a quantity of time. Historically correctly material up-to-date in all entwicklungsstufen is put to the building master at the disposal, which results in large variety at ten nations taken part.

Ungeschlagen

CMBB is despite its puritanischen appearance an absolute highlight of the strategy category.

The AI of the play is one of the few, which one can call such, a serious opponent, who will drive so some stood player the sweat on the forehead. Also before it CMBB does not need to back-frighten hobby stepping gene (with much time) buy, because the well adjustable degree of difficulty makes a play on its level for everyone possible.

This leads together with the large play depth to an extremely high again and/or far play factor, particularly since also multi-player portions are possible for one or more computers via InterNet as well as E-Mail to.

Those, which are not safe whether the play assures to them or not, is the in any case demo to the heart put.

Result: Must for each Stragen, which more is interssiert at a very good play, as at bombastischer diagram splendour.

1 Presentation (1-20) 10 System requirements:

Minimum: Pentium 500MHz, 64MB RAM or G3 (Mac)

Recommended: Pentium 800MHz, 128MB RAM or G4 (Mac)

Place on hp: 1200 MT

Degree of difficulty: perfectly adjustable

Now order! / now ersteigern!

1 Handling (1-20) 16

2 Play depth (1-20) 20

1 Motivation (1-20) 18

Total valuation 84

Your opinion to the play | this report further-recommend

"Now order! / now ersteigern!

1 Handling (1-20) 16

2 Play depth (1-20) 20

1 Motivation (1-20) 18

Total valuation 84

Your opinion to the play | this report further-recommend "

OK, "Play depth" well at 20/20 I sort of "get" what they mean there

BUT....

1 Handling (1-20) 16 Whats that?

AND

1 Motivation (1-20) 18 What the hell is Motivation? what does that really mean?

anyone

the Babelfish translation was actually pretty good for FREE and via a computer IMHO smile.gif

Thanks

-tom w

[ September 18, 2002, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

1 Handling (1-20) 16

2 Play depth (1-20) 20

1 Motivation (1-20) 18

Total valuation 84

BUT....

AND

The term used in the original is "Handhabung", which can mean "handling", but I think in this case refers to "learning curve/ease of use"; I think it could also mean "stability" (in a software sense).

I think by motivation he means "immersion factor". I'll defer to the native speakers on this.

Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

1 Handling (1-20) 16

2 Play depth (1-20) 20

1 Motivation (1-20) 18

Total valuation 84

BUT....

AND

The term used in the original is "Handhabung", which can mean "handling", but I think in this case refers to "learning curve/ease of use"; I think it could also mean "stability" (in a software sense).

I think by motivation he means "immersion factor". I'll defer to the native speakers on this.</font>

So basiert zum Beispiel eine Karte auf der historischen topografischen Landkarte Nr. 3844 Hennickendorf im Maßstab 1:25000 mit den letzten Modifikationen von 1941. Selbige Karte bezeichnet sich als „semi-historisch“, da die Truppenstärken teilweise geschätzt werden mussten.

He is quoting from one of my scenario briefings!!! *rotfl*

:D