Different BMPs for command tanks?

Since Russian tank platoons will rely heavily on a command tank, what do you think is the

likely hood of BTS giving command tanks different BMPs? I've read that most command tanks

had a 'K' painted on for 'Komandirsky'.

I think it would be very cool( and easy?) to have the Komandirsky tanks look different, that

way you could see it in a glance, and not do that gamey 'click select' thing to see if

its in command radius. At least Im guessing thats how it will work. :D

[ February 20, 2002, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: The ol one eye. ]

Russian TCs must've had balls of steel to stick themselves out into the wind like that. Im going to be especially bummed when I lose my first Ruski TC. :D

BTW, does anyone have a good glossary of Russian WWII military terms or nicknames? Did they use terms comparable to 'G.I.' or 'Dogface'? Any good Russian slang for Germans or specific enemy units? That is the best stuff. ;)

Originally posted by The ol one eye.:

Russian TCs must've had balls of steel to stick themselves out into the wind like that. Im going to be especially bummed when I lose my first Ruski TC. :D

BTW, does anyone have a good glossary of Russian WWII military terms or nicknames? Did they use terms comparable to 'G.I.' or 'Dogface'? Any good Russian slang for Germans or specific enemy units? That is the best stuff. ;)

I believe "Frontovik" was the Russian equivalent of Tommy, Digger, Landser, or GI.

That reminds me of an interesting story regarding the term 'Tommy' that I read recently. My aged fragile mind has blurred the details slightly, but apparently it was something like this: The British army (sometime shortly after Waterloo) was writing some sort of documentation and needed a name for the average British private soldier as an example name to fill in blanks.

This came to the Duke of Wellington's attention and he thought back to his very first command, which contained a huge private by the name of Tommy Atkins. Apparently Tommy was mortally wounded in front of the Duke and died more or less in his arms, saying it was 'all in a day's work Milor' or some such. Wellington wanted to honor him, and thus the name 'Tommy' for the British private soldier was born.

Any others? I love etymology...

ianc

Any good Russian slang for Germans or specific enemy units? That is the best stuff. ;)

The one most often term heard in reference to the Germans is "nemtsi". It originates from the term "ne mestnie" which translates to "not from around here".

Thus the Germans who as invaders were not "from around here", became collectively known as "nemtsi".

I think the Russians called SPAM, America's "Second Front" (an obvious thumbing of their noses at America's "contribution" to the war before 6/44). However, they did like SPAM though.