Mac Voodoo 3 problems

raven1291

I did have CM working about a month ago (then the game defalted to a low resolution), and don't think I've made any changes, but now the game dosent try to change resolution, units are semi-transparent, the mouse pointer cant reach the right side of the screen (to rotate the camera) and its just paoin no fun!! I'm having this problem if i boot into OS 8.6 or 9.0, I'm using beta 12 of the VooDoo 3 drivers, have tried updating OpenGL to 1.21 updated CM to 1.12and have 288 megs of ram.

Where to start?

Thanks in advance!

Eddie

P.S. I have never seen this "screen resulation setup" the first time or any time after trashing the prefs I keep hearing about. :confused:

Raven, did you install any other games that might have tried to update your drivers?

Btw, the screen resolution startup option is a PC-Direct X thing, you won't see that on the Mac.

I'd try deleting the prefs file for CM & your Voodoo drivers if there are any prefs files for them in there. (System Folder > preferences) and trying again.

If that doesn't work, along with the standard PRAM reset and desktop rebuild then I'd recommend reinstalling CM if other games work fine, if all games are messed up then it's a video driver issue, reinstall those then.

Gyrene

Some past posts suggested that the Beta 12 drivers didn't work with CM, but they have been for you until lately ? One indication of running in 'hardware accelerated' mode was that you get transparencies and high-quality transparent smoke. One poster in the past suggested v. 1.0d15 drivers, but they don't fully support RAVE (so you're actually running in Software Rendering mode). Here's the thread (Baboon2 was a former RAVE developer at 3dfx):

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=000190

There are also suggestions to turn off the CM QuickTime intro movie, since it forced software rendering for one user when it came up.

In this post a user got a hold of the 1.08 drivers for the Voodoo 4/5 series and it worked for them (with a small glitch) - uh... one of those glitches is apparently the transparency problem that you're seeing. The latest version of the Voodoo 4/5 series is 1.1.3 (or 1.13, whatever):

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=000691

Here's one place to download them from ('3dfx Voodoo Drivers', top item is the Voodoo 4/5 driver that works 'unofficially' with Voodoo 3):

http://www.pure-mac.com/hard.html

I don't know if there was a solid answer on this issue in the past. It seemed that people had problems when the Voodoo 3's were actually performing hardware rendering for RAVE in CM. I can only guess that the best solution to utilize your Voodoo 3 would be to use the 1.1.3 drivers originally inteneded for the Voodoo 4/5 series. If those don't work you'll need to use software rendering.

I'm at work right now so I'm not able to try some of those suggestions just yet, but when CM was working "right" a month ago, It was under software mode, ugly smoke, no transparencies, etc.

The problem I'm having now (other than the mouse not working on the screen edges) is that some most of the tracer fire is not visible, and some of the polygons of the units and buildings are not showing up. So it's not really a transparency problem, but parts of the units aren’t rendering.

...How can I force the game to run in software mode? (Beside take out my 3Dfx card on run my old ATI 2 meg POS.

...Is there any way to set the resolution, color depth, etc like every other 3d game?

I’ve can't remember all the things that I've installed, mostly a lot of demos (Tony Hawk 2, Dues Ex to name a few.) but those games run fine (great really for a 5 year old computer) I'm having this same problem in OS8.6 or 9.1 depending on which drive I boot from.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try all the suggestions listed above, and see if I can flash the VooDoo ROM back to an older version too.