Use of the .50 calibre MG on the Sherman against infantry

Another quote re: Commonwealth use, from PEEWEES ON PARADE by a South Alberta Regiment tanker:

The Sherman tanks that we used after we went overseas also had a .50 calibre Browning mounted on top of the turret for the crew commander to use. When we got to France we found that the .50 calibre Brownings were a pain in the neck. Conditions were so dusty and dry that the barrels and mechanism got full of dirt all the time and the guns wouldn't fire properly. It was almost impossible to keep them clean. We immediately made a present of them to the infantry, who mounted them on the Bren gun carriers and were as happy to get them as we were to get rid of them.
Raises a few other questions, doesn't it...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for BOB use of .50 cal. in Ep. 3, I found this:

http://www.101airborneww2.com/bandofbrothers4.html

By writer of '101st Airborne-The Screaming Eagles at Normandy'

The Battle of Bloody Gulch

In one scene on 13 June, the Perconte character comments:"It's 9:30 in the morning back home." I really don't know why that line was even inserted. The battle started before 0600AM French time that day, and 2nd Armored tanks showed-up to assist around 2:30 in the afternoon,which is what time it would've been when Perconte made his statement.

The detail about it raining off and on, on the 12-13th June was correct. Actually, when the 2nd AD showed-up, the 66th Armored Regiment expended some 75,000 rounds of .50 caliber MG ammo, as well as 225 rounds from their main batteries. The troopers were almost out of ammo when the tankers arrived and many of them cried when given additional ammo to kill the enemy with. Others were seen to kiss the tanks in gratitude. Some paratroopers jumped aboard the Shermans and manned the .50 caliber MGs, quickly depleting the ammo supply. "They were an angry bunch", a 66th officer commented.

Originally posted by Herr Jung:

As for BOB use of .50 cal. in Ep. 3, I found this:

http://www.101airborneww2.com/bandofbrothers4.html

Bando's site is an excellent mix of groggy stuff and serious historical dissection - intermixed with a bit of sour grapes and whineyness. A good example from that same page:

I've come to conclude that the 6th Para Regiment was basically wearing helmets of this tan/green type in Normandy. I saw some regular blue gray Luftwaffe paint jobs on helmets in the series as well as a few camo helmet covers, but NONE bearing the actual paint job which was prevalent at the time. Another point I could have advised them on, but does anyone CARE? (emphasis added)

The entire First Army, not just the paratroopers, changed passwords every three days, starting one day after D-Day. Flash-Thunder was only used on D-Day. From D+ 1 thru 3, the words changed to Thirsty-Victory. From D+3 thru 6, to Weapon-Throat; from D plus 6 thru 9, to Wool-Rabbit. So in scenes such as the meeting with an 'F' company member above Carentan, as well as the Blithe-Speirs encounter, the passwords should have changed accordingly. They could have gotten this info from me also, but probably consider it "unimportant".

Great info, but would probably read better without the "hmphs" thrown in....

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Bando's site is an excellent mix of groggy stuff and serious historical dissection - intermixed with a bit of sour grapes and whineyness. A good example from that same page:

Agreed. The FJ helmet camo argument was just too trivial and speculative for his own good. I think people can just filter those out. But I thought the exchanging of code words - if true - was very informational because I wondered about that when in SPR the 101st were still using Flash-Thunder well after the drop when its security would have been compromised. I also enjoyed the dissing of Dale Dye.