Optics in CMBB - how are they better?

Wow!! smile.gif

Thanks for the responses guys. Yet another feature of CMBB I can't wait to see. smile.gif

I found it interesting that discussion of Panzer Elite cropped up. I have that game as well, and I found the optics to be a little misleading.

In particular, many German optics were capeable of being "set" to a given range. Comparing the size of the target to the triangles was only part of the sights functionality (that helped the gunner correctly tell/guesstimate range to target).

Being able to apply the range to the sight and then aim accordingly (which inadvertently applies elevation or depression of the gun) is what really makes them usefull in combat, and gave them an edge over "fixed" optics, fixed meaning that no range could be "set" per-say, through using a dial, but set by the use of fixed calibrations on the reticle pattern, which denoted different ranges.

One of the best representations of this which I personally have seen lately, is from...dare I say it...gulp..."World War Two Online". :rolleyes:

To illustrate, look at these two screenshots taken from the PzIIIF's "TZF5a" optical sight which was 2.4x magnified within a 25° field of view.

As you can see, the first screenshot shows a target at 200m, but the sight is "set" to "0"m.

SShot1.jpg

Whereas the second screenshot shows how the sight is now set (accurately) at 200m

SShot3.jpg

Notice the pointer at the top indicating the applied range setting to the sight (and therefore main gun).

Setting the sight, essentially entails elevating or depressing the sight, and its respective sight picture. So, using an example based off of the screenshots above, were the gunner to fire the main gun at a target which was 200m away, with his sight set to 0m, the shot would fall noticeably short. In order to place the main gun, which is "linked" to the sight "on target" or at least, on what appears to be "on-taget", the gunner actually lowers the main gun, while the reticle pattern is now "on the target".

Once the gunner sets his sight for a range of 200m, the reticle pattern lowers/depresses. The gunner then has to elevate the main gun, in order to place the reticle pattern "on target", which concurrently places the main gun on target. When the gunner fires now, the round WILL hit the target.

Long winded, but there you have it.

What I would like to know is if there is any hope (or need really) to reflect the German use of Notek Lighting system in their guns, and how that may have contributed to increasing their ability to fire accurately at night. That could have some interesting ramifications if modeled, but perhaps it is delving too much into infinite detail.

Food for thought perhaps. smile.gif

It is good to know though, that now vehicles/weapons and the like which use optics, will function off of "rated" optics, which will dictate their functionality in battle. I'm curious to see as to what degree this might off-set the "hive mind", as that unto its self marks a complete change in the way players will be able to commi forces into battle.

I don't even have this game yet and I can't stop thinking about it. ;)

LBD,

Thanks for the screenshots and the explanation. I believe, though, that the Notek light was the hooded gizmo on the tank's fender and was used to provide a shielded white light for night driving. What I think you mean is the active IR gunnery system on some Panther tanks, whose 750m (?) engagement range was greatly enhanced when target illumination was supplied by a 251 mounted IR searchlight called Uhu (owl). There was also a night driving device fitted to the Panther and certain other vehicles. Were you referring to either of these?

Regards,

John Kettler

My understanding of "Notek Lighting" is that it was not much more than a little light with a battery pack, that clamped on the the respective sights for a variety of guns, whether they were field guns, or tank guns.

The idea was, that the small light "illuminated" the reticle pattern (which was usually black), but shows up at night as either a "jade", red of beige colour (with supplementary illumination). This way, the gunner could see the reticle pattern (over the black surfaces seen at night) and "aim" with a little more precision.

I'll see if I can dig up some more info on it, but you might very well be correct. smile.gif

After a little bit of looking around, I believe I found out what Notek lighting is/was.

Indeed, it appears you were correct, in that the Notek LIghting system was the special lamp, mounted on the mudguards usually, which was used for night driving, compareable to modern day "blackout drive".

Not sure how I confused an optical lighting kit and this. :confused:

In any event, I'll have to take another look one of these days to see what it was I read about in relation to lighting kits for guns - and what the REAL name is for them.

Thanks for pointing that out Mr.Kettler. smile.gif

• 1 month later...