Crazy Command Range - odd distance

And no, this is not a result of intervening terrain. The picture doesn't show it as well as it could, but there's no little "hill" getting in the way. Has anyone else seen this?

Screwy_Command_Range.jpg

And damnit, I will remember to get a saved game next time. sigh

[ October 31, 2002, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Cameroon ]

Actually, since it was during setup, I moved everything around. The In-Command range for that one squad was shorter than every other squad and even the support units around.

I don't know how the distance could be exagerated by the camera angle there, the unit is closer smile.gif When I started doing the set-up of my units, the furthest were actually in that woods on the left and in command.

Did you double-check that your HQ had LOS to that squad? If not the required range goes WAY smaller, an out-of-LOS unit has to be much closer.

There's two *great* charts on the command ranges for Squads, Support Units, and Sharpshooters relative to Experience level of HQ, Command bonus, and LOS vs. No-LOS at

combatmission.com /Articles /"Making The Obvious Evident: Managing HQ Units"

To answer demoss' question, the two left-most squads were both Regular quality. That was the first thing I though too, but they are the same quality. No casualities or fatigue either, just to rule them out.

As for LOS, as I said, there is nothing in the way at all. Furthermore, when I initially saw the command oddity, I moved the squads/HQ all over the place. That ONE squad had a shorter command radius than the others.

You can also see that the squad deep in the woods is in command. And as I stated, there were not terrain changes between the HQ and the out of command unit. In fact, the only unit I don't know about the LOS for is the lower-right squad. But as you can see, LOS or not, that squad was in command.

I've found that units which start setup out of command radius stay that way throughout setup, regardless of how close you move them to their HQ. Basically, the command radius thing doesn't update.

Also, IIRC, a unit which is moved out of command radius (during setup) changes to a black command line (ie, out of command), and then gets stuck with the same problem as above.

Having said that, all the instances I have seen resolved themselves as soon as it got to Turn 1 orders. In other words, it seems to just be some weird glitch that only affects the setup phase, when it doesn't really have any effect anyway.

Regards

JonS

Argh, I didn't think to look if it went away. During the game, doh!

I should also say that the squad COULD be put in-command during set-up. In order to be shown in command it couldn't be more than about 10m away.

And, while I've seen the "command status doesn't change during setup" thing with radio-less vehicles, I've not seen it with infantry.

Well, if I see it again I'll make sure to get the save game so you can all see smile.gif

I had something happen that I don't understand either. I bought a T34 platoon for a QB. When the fight started, the T34 platoon HQ, had a good command connection at a distance of a couple few dozen meters, but after a couple of turns, the command connection failed even when both units were sitting next to each other on a flat road. What would cause that?

TRL,

no, I think it is different for tanks that unbutton during orders, and further, I think it may be deliberate. If you watch them, their orders delay is about what you'd expect for a buttoned tank rather than an unbuttoned one, even if you've just unbuttoned it.

I think this may be deliberate to prevent gamey abuse of buttoning/unbuttoning during the orders phase. I.e. unbutton, issue orders with minimal delay, button up again and send them on their merry way.

This way, you either have to wait a turn (and hope they don't button again :eek: ), or just suck up the longer delay for being buttoned.

Regards

JonS