Total site revamp

Following feedback from a number of people in the last few weeks, I have now restructured the site I created a while back with information about German counter-battery practice, lots of pictures taken by my grandfather, some new pictures and links. It is now much more accessible, informative and should make more sense.

It is here and also linked in my sig. Any feedback you may have is appreciated.

Hope you enjoy it.

All the best.

Andreas, you have a photo of troops wearing the M1943 Einheitsfeldmütze captioned as a prewar photo.

measure.jpg

I believe the use of reed green denims in itself would place the photo much later than 1937/8, but the caps are a dead giveaway - unless, of course, two artillerymen managed to lay hands on a pair of Bergmützen - which is a bit unlikely.

Or...did artillerymen in Mountain Divisions wear the Bergmütze without the Edelweiss???

Another interesting item is the lack of a dark green collar on the feldbluse on the man at left - the change back to field grey collars for this pattern of tunic did not take place until May of 1940.

Definitely a wartime shot, as far as the uniform details go. When did your Opa caption the photos? Long after the war?

Man at right also appears to be wearing canvas gaiters - something not seen until 1940 and not common until after the start of the Russian campaign.

Also note the medal ribbons on the man at left. Other than the Memel ribbon or long service ribbon, this was not possible in 1937/38 unless someone held decorations from the Great War, AFAIK.

If it is an EK II ribbon, KvK or Winter War ribbon, that would not obviously be possible in 1937/38.

Can't tell from the scan what it is, but the Long Service ribbon and Memel ribbon had metal devices attached, which this ribbon may not - can you tell on the original any better?

EDIT - actually, the more I look at it, the more I think it is just a blur on the photo rather than a ribbon...doh...help me out, here!

[ March 18, 2002, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Michael - interesting stuff. I put this picture into the pre-war section simply on the basis of the placement in the initial pile. I will correct that tonight. As you can see, I don't know the first thing about German uniforms.

Kip, Cory - thanks a lot.

Andreas - from Canadian Army Training Memorandum No. 24, March 1943

THE GERMAN MAP REFERENCE

1. The Germans have a map reference system which they call "stosslinie", which means "thrust point." A line is drawn on a map. Theoretically, it may run in any direction, but in practice it is found to run either in the direction of the German intended advance or down the axis of a reconnaissance unit.

2. The line begins at a fixed point and continues indefinitely in the required directions. For convenience it is usually divided into centimeters. To give a map reference, a perpendicular is dropped from the reference point to the thrust line. Measurements are then given from the starting point of the line to the point where the perpendicular cuts the thrust line; then along the perpendicular to the reference point. Since the point may lie on either side of the thrust line, the second figure has to be prefaced by either right or left as one looks toward the enemy.

3. A typical reference would be 12 right 3.5. The figures always are centimeters; therefore, the actual distance on the ground represented by each unit will NOT always be the same but will vary according to the scale of the map.

4. In order to make the code more secure, the following variations may occur:-

a) The scale may start with an arbitrary figure; that is, the starting point may be called sixty instead of zero; so that our map reference would read 72 right 3.5.

B) Dummy figures are often used. By previous arrangement, it is agreed that the first, third and fifth figure of any map reference will be dummies. The above map reference, for instance, might be given as 87329 right 83359.

c) Finally when more than one thrust line is being used, perhaps by a Corps or Army, they are numbered and map references begin with the number of the thrust line.

5. Instruments have been found that consists of a rule in translucent material graduated in millimeters, with a shorter ruler similarly graduated, fixed at right angles which slides up and down on the larger ruler.

6. Operators with practice can give references very quickly.

The question being, does your granddad have one of these crazy rulers in his collection? ;)

Go ahead. Credit it to Canadian Army Training Memorandum No. 24, March 1943, via me.

Bear in mind the warning on the cover though

NOT TO BE PUBLISHED

The information contained in this document is not to be communicated, either directly or indirectly, to the Press or to any person not holding an official position in His Majesty's Service.

Since His Majesty is dead, I guess I have been released from that obligation....

Originally posted by HVAP:

Good we wouldnt want to lose you to the Canadian penal system.

Maybe too late now Gridnote.

Michael, let me know if you are happy with this. If you have any other info on these kind of topics, I would be happy to publish that there as well.

I would hate to be lost to the Canadian penal system, too, but since I know a few of the guards, it might not be too bad. They don't even wear uniforms anymore.

Great looking page; remind me to ask you about exchanging links someday, bewtween LANDSER and your Obersvation Artillery site. If I come across any other tidbits re: artillery or other stuff, you will naturally be the first to know!