Commanding styles?

Hey, I was just wondering how hard do others out there press for those objective flags, especially in MEs. Do you not care if your men get decimated but you control the flags at the end or does your heart hurt when you see your little soldiers lying all over the ground?

:confused:

Command style? I've moved away from VL grabbing and more oriented to destroying the enemy and inflicting casualties while minimizing my own. I don't like meat grinders unless the battle is high pitched and securing a particular VL is the difference in victory and defeat.

I've been more interested now in dirty little tricks. Dirty tricks and a dash of aggressive "you're out of your mind" armor movement and usage is my game, esp. on the defense.

Besides, a bunch of guys here would plaster a VL with hvy.artillery if it provides good cover and terrain. It's just too obvious at times.

Force selections I feel I do well in:

Axis: Mechanized and esp. Armored forces.

Allied: Combined arms. That's it. Sometimes with infantry for the sheer amount of artillery I can bear down.

Allied selection and supply of their artillery can make any Axis player jealous.

Well, with the above notes in consideration, I'll try to describe my "style."

My objective is not to take VL flags, my primary objective is to kill or capture every enemy soldier on the map (and I do hate seeing them run off the map too...)

Now the fights that I go through in trying to break them are generally heaviest around victory locations, so I focus my attcks on them. Once I have them I press forward and leave only "placeholder" folks there to watch for other enemies trying to grab the flag for points. If anyone does, I send a tank back to polish 'em off (if I can spare a tank)

In general, first I set up to attack enemy concentrations (generally areas offering cover near VLs), I then attack them with much vigor using any tactic that might gain the victory (flanking, surrounding, suppression & charge, artillery, ect) After I dislodge them off the flag, they're generally off balance and I keep charging until they're dead. If the enemy has a reserve, things can get sticky, but otherwise I'm moving in the direction of ending the battle before the time limit.

And if you win the battle before time is called, you get the flags anyway.

Only if my troops have no push left in them will I be content to hold positions on VLs.

I think it's interesting how many (less experienced) players are concentrated on the VLs. I've seen it many times in TCP/IP games when there were three VLs and my opponent moved one platoon of infantry to each VL.

I really like it when my opponents makes a dash for the VLs within the first few turns. That usually gives me just the information I need.

I can then move my infantry in position, shell his positions with arty and then wipe them out with concentrated infantry attacks. Especially in smaller QBs with about 1000 points it's quite easy to destroy one enemy platoon after the other if they are spread apart holding VLs.

I usually try to ignore the VLs unless they're in favourable terrain. Against experienced players capturing the VLs early means inviting his arty to decimate your troops.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]</p>

I aim for the flags, but not immediately. Usually, in a QB, I check the flags, just to see their general location. Then I turn them off, and focus on the most important thing in my opinion, the terrain. I try to capture terrain more than the flags, though eventually one has to take them in order to win the game.

Rushing for the flags is IMHO simply calling for a direct fire and/or artillery strike. Better to advance slow, safe and secret, if that is possible. My limited PBEM experience with this kind of tactic has been good.

But in the end, it all depends on the situation. Sometimes you have to rush, and sometimes you are forced to focus on the flags early on.

-Lunael