Death Clock for AT guns...why not?

I love the new death clock system. It seems very realistic and agrees with all I have read & seen about armored combat.

Why can't this system be used for AT guns? Surely, a camoflaged AT gun would be hard to even see when put under a canopy of trees. How can a tank 700 meters away tell when he knocked it out? The tank would most definely fire extra rounds to make sure that AT gun is dead, unless more urgent enemies were visible.

Any other thoughts?

[ September 04, 2002, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Pak40 ]

Originally posted by ciks:

I was thinking about that myself.

But i THINK, when i played with Extreme Fog of War, guns were shown as knocked out only upon close inspection by infantry. Until then, it was just a marker (german cross) sitting in the woods.

That has been my experience. On a certain scenario, I shelled the location of the gun for ever and ever. When I got there, it was knocked out, but who knows when that happened!

I think that kind of does it in a cool way. Guns often become just "marks" when they take cover or go into hiding even in CM:BO. Of course the "knocked out" thingy appeared when they were dead, but if it doesn't in CM:BB Extreme FOW... You sort of have what you asked for.

I like the idea of a DC for AT guns. It would make sense to have one for pill boxes also.

I've seen several guns go to just the marker after a turn of shelling. I'll have 3-4 tanks shooting at it and it will stop shooting and then change to a marker. I have never see one come back after this. I plan to play around with it to see what exactly is happening.

I don't think a DC for AT guns is really necessary because Extreme FOW does the job really well. Of the games I've played so far, very rarely do I get a "Knocked Out" indicator for an AT Gun until I actually get infantry close enough to investigate - it usually just stops firing and I get a lost contact marker.

I usually get info that indicates that the Gun in *probably* knocked out - like it stops firing and then a new infantry unit appears near the gun running away from it, but I've already been burned assuming this information once - there was an enemy infantry squad running just behind an AT that I was firing at, and when I spotted it, I assumed that I had knocked out the gun, so I switched targets. One dead T-34 later. . .