Q: What affects on computation time when computer resolves combat ?

I have noticed, after playing lot's of QBs with same setting (1000 pts, ME, medium map) that time to computer to work through resolving turn seems to increase 20 times when map is quite open and clear. Amount of units is about the same and I get huge difference between more restricted LOS maps and open maps.

I admit that my Cel 500 with 192 megs of memory is low-end..but I'm bit curious. Is it because computer has to make lot more LOS checks on open map ? Also scrolling is bit jerky with those maps during orders phase...but when watching video it's smooth...I guess that means it's not graphics thing. Go figure...

Cheers,

M.S.

Sorry, no help here. I just came in here to inquire about the name Sardaukar. Rings a bell as being some bad guy in a book I've read/game I've played/movie I've seen. Or something. Wasn't it soldiers?

Can you refresh my memory?

Yeah, units in LOS is the biggie. I have one very evil op set above the arctic circle (read NO TREES WHATSOEVER). Not too huge (~3 bns plus support on map) but once things get rolling computations were taking 15-25 minutes on my trusty old celeron 800. Reason being all the LOS computations.

Also note that fortifications are included in LOS computations, and that map had 120+ trench units alone.

WWB

Originally posted by Juju:

Sorry, no help here. I just came in here to inquire about the name Sardaukar. Rings a bell as being some bad guy in a book I've read/game I've played/movie I've seen. Or something. Wasn't it soldiers?

Can you refresh my memory?

It's from F. Herbert's book Dune and it's sequels. Sardaukars were the imperial troops, also present in (to me) blasphemous computer game with same name smile.gif .

I kind of got stuck with that name after owning most of those books and serving in Finnish military :D .

Cheers,

M.S.

Originally posted by wwb_99:

Yeah, units in LOS is the biggie. I have one very evil op set above the arctic circle (read NO TREES WHATSOEVER). Not too huge (~3 bns plus support on map) but once things get rolling computations were taking 15-25 minutes on my trusty old celeron 800. Reason being all the LOS computations.

Also note that fortifications are included in LOS computations, and that map had 120+ trench units alone.

WWB

Thanks, WWB !

Again, another Band of Brothers club member to rescue smile.gif . I thought that LOS had to be the reason, didn't make sense otherways, but I wasn't sure.

Cheers,

M.S.

Originally posted by wwb_99:

WWB

And I have to say, the fact that trench "units" and the like slow things down is highly unfortunate. There is one Op on the CD in particulare where the number of trench pieces make it impossible for me to play.

The actual number of "playable" units isn't that bad, nor is the terrain. But those trenches make my machine beg me for forgiveness. Here's to an engine re-write (some day) that doesn't do that ;)

It has nothing to do with the actual LOS calculations. It has to with the computer trying to figure out what to do with units that CAN see each other. Example: If two units can't see each other the computer doesn't need to make any further calculations for those units as far as, spotting chance, FOW, who to fire at, whether or not a unit needs to take cover, etc, etc... The only thing that effects LOS calculations is the number of units on the map.

[ October 31, 2002, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: StellarRat ]