CMBO and CMBB for Mac OS X

Tom W.

I've got an 800 mhz G4 iMac and Medal of honor (which is pretty cpu intensive at times) plays very slow and choppy in Mac os X.

I don't know about you but, fixing things in mac os X is so much harder. I like the fact that the older operating systems were so easy to fix. It usually just an extension conflict or something like that. I knew exactly where to go to fix it and that was that. Mac os X just scares me. Sudo this sudo that..... unless you've taken "Apple Authorized training" I'm not touchin' anything.

Cheers

We need a "mac" Ontario sneak preview

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Hoopenfaust 101:

Tom W.

I've got an 800 mhz G4 iMac and Medal of honor (which is pretty cpu intensive at times) plays very slow and choppy in Mac os X.

I don't know about you but, fixing things in mac os X is so much harder. I like the fact that the older operating systems were so easy to fix. It usually just an extension conflict or something like that. I knew exactly where to go to fix it and that was that. Mac os X just scares me. Sudo this sudo that..... unless you've taken "Apple Authorized training" I'm not touchin' anything.

Cheers

We need a "mac" Ontario sneak preview

"I don't know about you but, fixing things in mac os X is so much harder."

Oh yeah! ROGER THAT!

(I know a little Unix but only enough to get me into trouble)

I prefer to fix things in 9.x as Well!

I'm happy working on a lab of old Blue and White Mac G3's right now (they are in their last academic year of service)

-tom w

I am an OS 9 guru, and I know very, very little about Unix and the nuts and bolts of OS X.

I've been running OS X on my G4 533 since February and it hasn't crashed once. Not once.

I only boot into OS 9 to play CM and WarBirds, and WarBirds only because I'm too cheap to buy a new suite of USB flightgear while my beloved Thrustmaster stuff still works in OS 9.

Crashing is not what I'm worried about. My iMac has crashed 4 times since April and its been mostly in 9.2.

Don't get me wrong, Mac OS X is great. Its totally powerful and fast but it still needs to get the kinks out. I use it daily but some things just don't respond as "snappy" as 9.2. My pen and tablet in 10.1.5 move like molasses but in 9.2 (including CM), seamless.

I'm pretty sure CMBB is made on a mac, an extremely old mac but looks like it gets the job done. Use what you've got and you are totally happy.

Originally posted by Hoopenfaust 101:

...Tom, you are like me ( a mac tech) and you don't seem to have any problems using 9.2.

I have a question for you - at what point do you think then current Mac models will stop working with system 9? I have a G4 733, and I believe it requires system 9 or newer in order to boot up. At some point this minimum system requirement will move to OSX - perhaps with the next generation of processors. The OSX requirement is as likely to be marketing decision as an engineering one. At that point the CMBO and CMBB offerings will look SERIOUSLY dated - i.e. unable to run on current hardware.

For machines that already exist such as yours, you will always be able to use OS9 as long as Apple doesn't change the firmware radically. Firmware is some of the basic boot code (sort of like the lower cortex in humans that controls breathing and heart beating) and if they change that such that it no longer allows for OS9 then your machine would change. I doubt Apple will do anything of the sort.

As for new machines, I would say that in the next year as enough apps are created for OSX that Steve (Jobs :D ) will decree a OSX only machine. We are not there yet and I haven't seen any rumors to that effect yet. So do not hesitate to buy the latest hardware for the forseeable future.

Now if Apple would update Classic mode to use a new version of the Rave API, BTS wouldn't have any problem running under OSX. So we all should be showering Apple and Steve Jobs with our vitriole, this really is an Apple problem. A letter writing campaign, shall we?