Wiltz scenario (no spoiler)...Thanks, Bill H!

I just wanted to pass along my complements to Bill Hardenberger on the Wiltz scenario. I couldn't pass up playing it when I got the game today, because I've been reading McDonald's "A Time for Trumpets," about the Battle of Bastogne, and it describes the battle. I highly recommend it as a fun small scenario.

Guest Madmatt

Wiltz is and continues to be one of my FAVORITE scenarios!

I rank it up there in a tie with Moons Buscholtz Station as my two most played scenarios.

Both are small tense and tight little actions that will really give you a good game. I have taken more pictures from both of these scenarios (used as backgrounds in my POTDs) than any other.

They both have gorgeous maps and some unique and fun units to play with..

They both get the Madmatt Warm Glass Of Approval Award, CMHQ's highest honor! Even the BOT likes them! wink.gif

Madmatt

*** Do not Taunt Happy Fun Bot! ***

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-23-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Yeah, by default ANY scenario that made 'The Cut' is of VERY HIGH quality. My hat (hair?) is off to all the designers as the work included on the CD is of the highest caliber.

Funny, My 'BITE ME FLAME BOY' Flamthrower heavy fragfest didn't make it in confused.gif.. Hmmm... They must of just run out of room or something, yeah thats what it probably was...

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-23-2000).]

Hey Madmatt!

Send it my way. I like 'em bloody!

Bil H has two very good scenarios on the CD. I know. I played 'em all! wink.gif In fact, they all had to meet certain standards before they were allowed to be on the CD. Quality indeed, Bil! And your work is quality! You have my vote!

...WB

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

My apologies, Wild Bill. I got off the computer kind of late after playing the scenario, and was too lazy to go back and check to be sure. But please be assured I really did like the scenario. And I agree that they are all likely to be of high quality; it was just Wiltz that I played first. Thanks.

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ghost Dog:

Can´t wait for it.

Do you guys think it would be possible for the rest of us to check out the scenarios that did´nt quite make it to the CD.

Just a thought.

G-D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many already are! I am working on the rest and will have another for you at CMHQ either tonight or by Sunday at the latest.

One thing to remember just cause a scenario didn't make it on the CD DOES NOT MEAN it wasn't an excellant product. I had over 100 scenarios on my harddrive when CD went gold but for a variety of reasons only 50 shipped out.

By and large if you see that the author of a given scenario is by someone who is listed in the credits of the manual as part of the Beta Team then you can guarantee that it will totally ROCK! Well unless it has MY name and then it will just be a big pile of steamy POO! But hey, I challenge YOU to make a DAMN DAM outa the default pavement texture!!!! tongue.gif

YES, I will be releasing HOTTE DAM in the very NEAR future... Part of a solo "MATT-PACK" I am working on! Hehehee...

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

No problem, Buckeye! Wiltz is an ideal scenario to begin with, small, quick play. It gives you a feel for the game. Kind of like Tutorial #2.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. That was my intent. In fact all of the scenario designers were very attentive to making the scenarios fun and challenging.

Being in company with Bil H is an honor for me always. Did you know he was part of the Madmatt Madpack team. Bil is quite an artist himself.

And Matt is right about the scenarios. There is some quality stuff that will be posted at TGN, both on the CMHQ and the WBR Boots N' Track section.

By the way, in case anyone is curious. The purpose of two sites dealing with CM on TGN is (1) because it such a great game and (2) our focus is different.

The Raiders will focus primarily on tips and hints for designing and editing your own scenarios. Matt is gonna do it all. I expect nothing less from him. So the Raider site simply supports the CMHQ site and that is as it should be.

We'll keep you supplied biggrin.gif

"Steamy poo" Madmatt? Yes, he is mad, no doubt about that smile.gif

From a Cohort of the MadOne!

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

billw@matrixgames.com

Guest Jamey Cribbs

Wild Bill, I too wanted to thank you for Wiltz. It was the first scenario I played when I got the game. I liked it so much, I turned around and played it from the German side.

I think one of the things that makes it so much fun is that the terrain feels right.

Again, thanks for a GREAT scenario!

Jamey.

Uhh, maybe I just got lucky, but I thought the Wiltz scenario was a walkover for the Americans. I won a decisive victory, and did not lose a single unit.

No offense to the designer, but frankly I thought it was kind of easy. Of course, two kind of unlikely events occurred, which I will detail in another thread witha *SPOILER* tag.

Jeff Heidman

Interesting, because I achieved a total Axis victory when I played. I think it has to do with the importance of terrain, and the human's ability to immediately sense that importance. However, I suspect you'd need to play the scenario a number of times to get a true read. Once is not enough in CM, as I've learned. In any case, a scenario can still be fun even if you are victorious.

Guest Jamey Cribbs

My thoughts exactly! I have won the Wiltz scenario playing either side against the computer. To me, a scenario does not have to be incredibly hard to be considered a good scenario. It just has to be fun. To have that "right" feeling.

What guarantees that "right" feeling is very hard to put into words. That is why I think that scenario design is more of an "art" than a "science".

I've responded to Jeff's comment in the other thread, but I want to say something to Jamey and Buckeye.

Very incisive comments. You are absolutely correct. A good scenario has a "feel" (your words, Jamey) to it.

It does go beyond a science. There is a sort of spirit that seems to be a combination of the historical moment with the spirit of the designer that results in a scenario with some sort of life to it.

There are scenarios that are shooting matches, nothing more. There are others that are an exercise in frustration. There are some that should never have seen the light of day wink.gif (I've done some of all of them frown.gif )

But the scenario that grabs you, the one that transports you into the realm of history, that gives you a feel for the battle, win or lose, that is the scenario you enjoy, that you feel good about, win or lose.

Jeff had the gods of war smiling upon him in Wiltz. That is great. But frowning or smiling, if the gods of war deem to come down and touch a scenario with that "feeling," then it is a good experience.

And that, my friends, is why we are gamers. We want that good feeling when we play.

Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

billw@matrixgames.com