Let's discuss the new features in some detail

Originally posted by John Kettler:

gunnergoz,

Conscript troops may not used the covered fire arc command. Tried this with conscript Maxim MGs in the SoCal Sneak Preview and found it simply couldn't be done.

Regards,

John Kettler

Hello John,

Yeah, I caught that about the Maxims and mortars right away. I'm specifically referring to the T-34's not responding well to having both movement and arc commands at the same time. I had a platoon of 3 that were in command radius, but did not seem to want to proceed to "hunt" as ordered because they kept dealing with Fritzes in their covered arc. They just sat there and threw co-ax fire at them. I suspect that the AI said to itself "why hunt...I've found targets and I'm engaging them now." Perhaps the tanks would have done better with a movement command coupled with covered arc: I'll try that next and it should work in that the covered arc is an implicit order to engage when targets are aquired.

These new commands will be fun to work out to maximum advantage and effect. I'm stoked :D

I personally like the new difference between woods and pines. 25m LOS in woods, 35m in pines. Realistic too. Pines don't have all that clutter and underbrush. I was a bit putoff by the waypoint delays, but then when I realized that this will mostly affect conscript and green, and to a much much lesser degree more experienced units, then all became well. Since Thailand is pretty close to the International Date Line, Does this mean I'll get my copy 12-16 hours earlier than anyone else?

Originally posted by JAT:

Since Thailand is pretty close to the International Date Line, Does this mean I'll get my copy 12-16 hours earlier than anyone else?

I thought Thailand was a good 5-6 hours west of the dateline. Not so?

In any event, your copy will have to come in via camel caravan from Uzbekistan, assuming that their customs agents ever get around to releasing the copies that have been sitting around in bug infested warehouses for the last six months. Happy gaming. smile.gif

:D

Michael

I thought Thailand was a good 5-6 hours west of the dateline. Not so?

You're right. At the moment in time when we get it (assuming the same type of camel delivers), my copy will be 12-x hours older. Not sure if that means anything tho. :confused:

Originally posted by gunnergoz:

I'm specifically referring to the T-34's not responding well to having both movement and arc commands at the same time. I had a platoon of 3 that were in command radius, but did not seem to want to proceed to "hunt" as ordered because they kept dealing with Fritzes in their covered arc. They just sat there and threw co-ax fire at them. I suspect that the AI said to itself "why hunt...I've found targets and I'm engaging them now." Perhaps the tanks would have done better with a movement command coupled with covered arc: I'll try that next and it should work in that the covered arc is an implicit order to engage when targets are aquired.

re: Hunt + Cover Arc

Really? This piques my curiosity (as if I needed another reason to play ;) ). I haven't had a problem (other than command delays, yeesh!) getting my T-34s to move, cover-arc or no.

What drives me nuts, though not in a "fix or do somefink" way, is that the T-34 has such horrible vision when buttoned. I lost two of 'em last night when one cheeky German half-squad under my brother's command stayed hidden so long my tanks drove OVER him. It was pretty easy to lob Molotov's onto the deck from that range :rolleyes: .

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

I'll add something to the praise for Move to Contact... using this command in built up or heavily wooded areas is... well, the best advancement I can think of for infantry fighting in such terrain. You have to be a bit careful how/when you use it (like not using it while crossing open fields or streets for example), but when used wisely it can make a huge difference.

Steve

Why wouldn't one want to use "move to contact" in an open area? Perhaps this should be added to the docs because this is not spelled out in the demo README. And please, if there are any other caveats with the various commands please add these to the docs.