Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

MasterGoodale will be posting pics that verify AI inteligence. . .

This will be a multi-topic post so it doesn't crowd the forum but I have a few questions and I'm ging to post some pics that I feel are great examples of the AI's intelligence. Feel free to discuss the pics and the AI's decision. They shouldbe up there tonight sometime. But first some thoughts of mine and a few questions:

I read lots of posts about how people hate how quickly the soldiers tire with certain move commands. My only thought on this is that it is modeled quite realistically. Perfect? no. there will never be a perfect model for that, but it's pretty darn good. This all goes back to my original post when I asked CMBB developers if they had actually dressed in full gear and gone out and rehearsed the various manuevers under as similar conditions as they could manage to see exactly what it's like to do it. I would if I was developing a game like this *(not a bash). I did it when I was in my early 20s in BT and let me tell you it's very hard to move fast and hit the ground then get back up and dash, etc, etc for even 70M. I was in great shape too. So far in my battles the soldiers have acted quite realistically under their individual circumstances and I have been very impressed. If a mistake is made, it's mine. This isn't quake, it's a hardcore sim in my opnion, and a fresh breath of air. This is the kind of game I have been waiting for for about a decade.

There, had to say that.

I have a question about on map mortar fire. I noticed during an orders phase last night that my 60mm mortar with his HQ close by him (behind and to the left) would not fire on enemy about 150M away. He head line of sight and so did HQ. He had HE ammo and was only "tiring". It gave me a medium shade blue line and said "Out Of Range", "Open Ground" and "Area Fire". But the target line wouldn't stick. I don't understand why he would not target them. I read the whole manual (some sections several times) and I couldn't find any reason why he would not fire.

DOES ANYONE HAVE INSIGHT ON THIS??

:confused:

Thanks!!

[ November 13, 2002, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: MasterGoodale ]

Originally posted by MasterGoodale:

..It gave me a medium shade blue line and said "Out Of Range ..

Maybe that´s got something to do with it? :(

I´d be more interested in a "Master Goodale describes how badly he got his b*** kicked by the AI" AAR.

Cheers!

Nolloff

[ November 13, 2002, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Nolloff ]

Some mortars have minimun as well as maximun ranges. I think that is what is happening with that 60mm, but someone more groggy would have to show up to tell you what that minimun range is.

almost made a post that didn't have any spelling mistakes, almost.

[ November 13, 2002, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: jimmyjames ]

LOL :D:D . . .no wait, I mean! :mad:

hehe. Does a medium shade blue line mean they can't area fire? Even when I had a green line on open ground about 100M away (no enemey there though) I got the same thing. I'm :confused:

Oh, believe me there will be a very detailed AAR with pics when this battle is over (it's my first and so far I love this game more than any other)

I think I'll just play CM games from now on and other games made by Battlefront. They just can't be beat. I bet I've wasted $1000 on mediocre and bad games in the last 3-4 years! I could have just bought CM games and used the $1000 for new hardware!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Master Goodale,

you need a YELLOW line which leads from the mortar to the target and remains visible after you´ve placed the target area marker. A RED visible line means it won´t fire because no LOS (I never understood why in this case it does not simply disappear).

If my memory serves me well a GREEN line ony appears once you shift fire from a previously targetted area to another spot which is not more than 100m (or is it yards?) away. In this case you will only get a partial and not the full delay until the barrage starts on the newly assigned area.

BLUE and the different shades of blue when targetting indicate LOS from the mortar itself. The additional text "Out of Range" appearing close to the target marker during targetting indicates you are below or above the mortars range.

Stay enthusiastic!

Cheers

Nolloff

[ November 13, 2002, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Nolloff ]

Well, according to the manual I believe they need either a LOS for themselves or from nearby HQ or troops within command range. They can Area Fire without a LOS though. I even tried putting the target like 50, 60, and 75 meters away in a field with DLOS but still the target would not stick. I thought maybe it was because they were tired. They had no setup time either. It was just sort of confusing so I'm trying to figure it out. The manual has used up it's usefulness at this poitn for this particular problem. I may post a pic tonight of me trying to target something with that mortar team as they have not yet moved.

Originally posted by MasterGoodale:

They can Area Fire without a LOS though.

Mortars cannot area fire without DLOS either directly or from the LOS of an in command Hq unit. A change in CMBB (which took me a game or two to remember) is that BOTH HQ and Mortar cannot be 'Hiding'. If they are there is no targeting. Many people use the LOS tool only when selecting targeting. The colors for LOS and Targeting are different. Need to pay attention. Out of range is out of range. But you can get suckered because of the light blue line. I know in the early days I did.

Yes, I had the red line and HQ was not hidden (I'm pretty sure but I will double check). Thansk for all the good suggestions fellas.

By the way, an interesting tidbit of info from the page my link refers to:

"Figures on the strength of the Soviet armed forces during World War II and earlier periods remain military secrets. German estimates, which were approximately correct, placed the total initial strength of the Soviet Army at 203 divisions and 46 motorized or armored brigades. Of these, 33 divisions and 5 brigades were in the Far East, while the rest were either on the western frontier or at stations in European Russia. By this reckoning total Soviet personnel strength on hand in Europe to meet the invasion was about 2,300,000 men. The number of Soviet military aircraft was at least twice and possibly as much as three times that of the Germans, but most of the planes were obsolete models. Newer designs were just going into production. The Russians may have had as many as 10,000 tanks, most of them mechanically not inferior to the German types and one, the T-34 Stalin tank, heavier and more powerful than any tank the Germans had until late 1943. The T-34, however, was not as yet in full production."