Computer for running 'To the Volga'

After shopping around I finally found a computer that can run the operation 'To the Volga'. It is amazing how quickly the turn calculations are processed, and there isn't any screen flicker or pauses. Check out:

The Perfect CM Computer

I think with the introduction of this computer, BFC can also model individual soldiers on the battlefield. No more 3-man squads; I will be able to see all 9-12 men.

That is beautiful, but it actually echoes something i keep wondering. I've got a P4-2.53 o/c to 2.85, with 768 of rdram 800 and a GeForce Ti4200 64mb DDR. To the Volga still runs like a dog.

that being said: what did the playtesters use to test that battle? And where can i get a machine like theirs...

:confused:

Personally I havent gotten past the setup phase yet. AMD 1800+, 512 Ram, GF2.

Its like click on unit, wait one second before unit is selected. Press deploy button, wait one second. Turn the camera, looks like choppy slowmotion hack hack hack. Move camera forward, more choppy slowmotion chop chop chop. Click on where the unit is supposed to go, wait two seconds. Move camera back to next unit, chop chop chop....etc etc

I've done about one tenth of a setup in maybe four or five attempts, when I get bored enough I save to return another day.

Wow! Los Alamos looks like it might even run Doom III when it comes out - and maybe even get 20-30 frames per second! smile.gif

I haven't tried the scenario yet, but I'm wondering if the problems might be due to the video RAM. I suppose strategy gamers don't put as much of a priority on video cards as shooters do, but I have never understood the point of a super-fast processor and a two-year old video card. Just my opinion, not trying to flame.

I'll see if having a Ti4600 makes any difference.

You have a fair point - I'm running a GEForce DDR (original) on an 850 Athlon with 512MB of RAM. My next shopping trip will be for a newer video card so I'll see if that improves matters. I'm finding that battles over 2000 points get choppy when I'm playing them with full graphics, which is a shame, and anything over 4000 points I have to turn the trees off, which is sucky.

Guest Sgt. Emren
You have a fair point - I'm running a GEForce DDR (original) on an 850 Athlon with 512MB of RAM. My next shopping trip will be for a newer video card
Aren't you then stuck with a motherboard with a *relatively* old AGP port? You know, one that won't take full advantage of a brand-new gfx-card. That's my problem - upgrade the graphics, I'll also have to upgrade my motherboard. It's a never-ending circle...

My 128 meg 4600 didn't make any difference. p4 2.26@~2.5, and the first turn calculated for approx 30-45 minutes. Troop placement and the 60 sec turn weren't bad. I started turn 2 just to see if was any quicker. It seemed a little faster, but I didn't want to wait another 30 minutes to get a real comparison.

Are any of the other operations this hard on the hardware, or is Volga the worst?

Originally posted by Sgt. Emren:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> You have a fair point - I'm running a GEForce DDR (original) on an 850 Athlon with 512MB of RAM. My next shopping trip will be for a newer video card

Aren't you then stuck with a motherboard with a *relatively* old AGP port? You know, one that won't take full advantage of a brand-new gfx-card. That's my problem - upgrade the graphics, I'll also have to upgrade my motherboard. It's a never-ending circle...</font>