How to move HMG squads?

Hello, I've been playing the demo version of CMBB.

Yesterday I played the Yelnia Stare scenario using the russians. I beat it, but I didn't get any of my HMG squads anywhere near the fight, in fact most of them didn't even move 50 meters from the start line. They were all in the back pinned down, or exhausted, along with the majority of my mortar squads. I would try reissuing orders to them to get them closer so they could support my infantry, but they just wouldn't move, or worse go backwards. What is the trick to get them moving? I realize that they are carrying quite a bit of weight between the guns and the ammo, so I guess my question is which of the various movement commands works best to both keep them moving and to keep them from tiring out too quickly?

What kind of movement orders did you give to your HMG and mortar teams?

The best movement order for MG teams is move. Your support units can run but a very short distance and if they don't have a HQ with them they will get exshausted and it will take forever to get them unexhausted.

I've had to run with a full load of ammo and a M16, I 'd hate to see how far I'd run with a Maxim MG or a 50 mortar.

Your answer is in your topic, the move command is the best.

[ November 07, 2002, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: Kestrl ]

I intially used the move command on all my squads when I first started out after setup. However a german arty strike pretty much disrupted everyone in the first turn. After that I had a hard enough time getting the regular infantry to move forward, let alone the HMG and mortar squads. I tried moving an HQ down to rally them, but it didn't have much effect. I have never played CM before so I am not sure what is effective and what is not. When should I use the Move to contact order instead the plain old Move command?

If they are tired or exhausted, the best command to give them is no command at all. Let the poor buggers rest up until they are 'ready'. Put them in C&C of a high morale HQ(+2 heart), and then hunker down for a little quality nap time. Let 'em have a cuppa and a few smokes and they will be good to go.

In this game troops take longer to maneuver than in CMBO. Proper use of cover is required as well unless you want pinned/panicked/exhausted troops.

Before you move a single man on the 1st turn, plan at least a few moves ahead. Say to yourself "Self, my boys need to be in position C, and to get there they need to move from position A to B to C to keep from being turned into quivering kibble." Try to anticipate where your support weapon teams will need to be, and then plan accordingly. Using other units to area fire into danger zones while support teams are moving works. Possibly exposing another unit to fire to draw attention from the unit you feel is more important is a last ditch approach as well. Smoke is sometimes useful as well.

Throwing your troops out in a big wad will get them exhausted for the entire battle quickly. Leapfrog half of them up while the other half covers for them. Plan on everything taking longer than you thought and you will not be disappointed.

[ November 07, 2002, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Sgt. Schultz ]

Yelina Stare is very difficult for a beginning player. Don't get discouraged!

Generally, you don't want to move the maxims, better to use them for suppressive fire from cover. HMGs have very good range.

Also, you really don't want to move mgs in the open if the enemy can target them. All kind of bad things happen.

Kestri:

I had to run *with* a mobile stretcher. it was no fun at all.

Well, as for Yelnia stare for beginners. I would suggest setting the parameters for 50 to 100% more troops (in the initial setup phase). Then you can see the difference between rested and exhausted HMG units.

* spoiler maybe *

Incidentally, I have played Yelnia stare as the Germans with 100% more troops. I hid all of the troops and waited for the Russians to advance. In Stalingrad by Anthony Beevor, he mentioned that sometimes ammo was so acute that they had to let the enemy advance very near before returning fire. Well, the closest I ever got was 27 metres before my German troops volleyed. What a shock it was for the advancing russian army.

[ November 11, 2002, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: laxx ]

Originally posted by DBaron:

I intially used the move command on all my squads when I first started out after setup. However a german arty strike pretty much disrupted everyone in the first turn. After that I had a hard enough time getting the regular infantry to move forward, let alone the HMG and mortar squads. I tried moving an HQ down to rally them, but it didn't have much effect. I have never played CM before so I am not sure what is effective and what is not. When should I use the Move to contact order instead the plain old Move command?

If you got hit with a first turn arty strike, one of two things happened. Either you had troops visible (and this is the only way if the AI dropped the arty, AFAIK) or someone made a lucky guess. There's not a whole lot to do there but soak it up, rest and recover and then move forward.

As for Move to Contact, right now (pre-1.01 patch) the best time (only, in some ways) is when you are not in contact with the enemy and are moving IN cover. That way your units will stop when they see/hear something or are fired on. Once contact has been made, it's MUCH less useful.

After the patch, we will be able to modify the MTC order with a cover arc (thus allowing us to restrict where contact has to come from to stop the unit). Then we'll be able to use it in more creative ways. Ways equally likely to hurt us as help us smile.gif

Cameroon that's awesome about the MTC cover arc I didn't know they were fixing that! Yes!!

As for me, I have only fought two battles but I am very cautious with mortars and HMG units. I only use move unless it's a very short distance to where I want them to setyp. So far they haven't even really gotten tired on me. They get there, setup, then I wait until the front line has been secured before I move them again. The way I see it, they are better used for fallback cover or to kill anyone that breaks through the front line. But of course they can very effective in offense in many situations. The golden rule = Avoid Fatigue as much as possible!

Thanks for the suggestions. I got the full version of the game now, and spend most of my time playing quick mission battles. I'm having better luck moving small mortars and LMG's around, though I still have not mastered getting my HMGs in position just yet. I'm thinking of maybe using some halftracks for bringing them into combat after I have advanced my main body of infantry, instead of trying to move them around on foot?

I now have all sorts of more pressing concerns like learning all the various tanks/guns (imagine my suprise when i found out that an 88mm pupchen was nothing like an 88mm flak gun) and learning what are the best way to balance out my forces for a succesful attack, or for a succesful defence. Anyway, this is a great game, and thanks for th help.