Who Is Combat Mission's Competition?

diplomatic anwer yep! :) he is the "maker" of GI Combat.

my two next wargames will be CMBB and GI Combat. but they are different in a lot of things, and is the first time I will play a real time wargame (i didn´t play the close combat series).

Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

Is TacOps 4.0 worth it if you don't play multiplayer?

I wish it had a scenario maker or QB generator...

Are you asking whether an upgrade from 3.x to 4.x will be worth it or whether TacOps in general is worth it?

I have been beta-testing TacOps 4 and the new selection mechanism for "stacked" units alone is worth the price, which is only $25 to start from. There are other user interface improvements and new SOP/targetting features that make 4.x better than 3.x.

I really recommend clicking the TacOps order link when ordering CMBB or AA anyway. The multiplayer feature obviously requires a substancial user base, and if we get it, our social life is in trouble, respecitivly replaced by a new one.

"you will be buying CMBB as well, so there is no competition."

Doesn't follow. What I am debating is whether to buy NRC. Knowing that CMBB is going to be out soon and will absorb much of my game available time, does it make sense to get "Beresina'ed to the gills"? They do compete. Yes, CMBB wins for me and will be bought by me. I'm not sure whether I will buy NRC - I might or might not.

The question is asked on a CM forum. Ask the same question over at the Napoleonic Wargame Club, and everyone will say they will certainly buy NRC (if they don't have their copy yet), and some may be considering buying CMBB as well. With the same time quandry, undoubtedly.

I'll expand a bit on this because I think it can easily be underestimated. Grogs are a particular market, relatively demanding, not necessarily all that "deep", and the high quality games they get interested in absorb large amounts of their time, compared to RTS and FPS games of the month for more casual gamers. And they move from genre to genre partially according personal interest in the subject matter, but also very strongly influenced by game features and game design advances.

I played TacOps at the same time I was mostly playing Napoleonics. But the interface wasn't good enough to draw me in. My underlying interest in Napoleonics was and is higher than modern (post WW II) armor. TacOps had one enourmous strength over the BG series, though - its AI was far stronger. The BG series had to played against a human or there was no challenge. And that meant slow PBEMs running 3 months to a year, and a relatively limited number of very large games. In contrast, TacOps games could be affairs of a sitting, or a weekend, and for a while at least I could play it solo because the AI was still challenging.

If the Tac Ops interface and eye candy had been better, it might have displaced the BG series entirely on my gaming roster. But in that earlier incarnation anyway, they weren't for me (as I said, modern armor is not my main interest anyway). But CMBO was another matter. Its interface is a breeze, and it is beautiful. These improvements relative to TacOps drew me in.

The AI in CMBO is relatively weak. Stronger than the BG series AI, but not as strong as the TacOps AI. Partly because of unit scale, and partly because most forces in a modern game are mobile and firepower capable AFVs, reducing the importance of paper-scissors-rock complexity compared to formation sized moves, the TacOps AI is stronger. CMBO is fun enough that I will play the AI and just give it better odds. And against humans, it has completely replaced BG Napoleonics on my PBEM calendar.

Before CMBO I played BG Napoleonics. Before that I played a 4X turned based space game called "stars", which was attractive for its easy interface and substantial game-play depth. But enough "min maxing" of that one (beating the game system) eventually made the more timeless field of Napoleonics more interesting.

Now, some less well done clone of CM as to subject matter is not going to have any of these effects. I don't first decide "WW II 3-D tactics", and then pick the best entry in that genre. The competition is things like depth of gameplay, ease of using the interface, strength of the AI, time requirements. Also editors, for replay value and historical detail. With NRC and Eckmuhl, another factor is practical campaign game innovations. Those kind of things matter, even across genres, though pretty much among only "groggy" turned based strategy games, that so far are the only things that meet my "depth of gameplay" demands.

CMBO is the success it is not just because it is the best WW II 3-D tactics game out there. It is far beyond what other games of equivalent game play depth ("traditional wargames", etc) offer in eye appeal and in the ease of using the interface. Compared to games with similar eye appeal (RTS, FPS) it has vastly greater depth of play. Those are edges not over clone WW II games, but over other genres with "grog appeal".

[ June 07, 2002, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: JasonC ]

If there would be any competitor for the CM series, then BTS wouldn't take all the time in the world to finish CM:BB. CM has a real unique style.

Well, sometimes I need a break, then I play a FPS, drink beer or have sex (not necessarily in this order smile.gif )

Originally posted by CMsoldier:

One of the biggest competiters for me has been World War 2 Online:Blitzkgrieg. GI Combat will be a close competiter for me too. They just released the into movie and all the animation from the intro movie are animations from the game. It looks bad ass. But dont worry, my first priority is CMBB. All the way. Nuthin will ever beat it.

Yeah they went ALL OUT when it came to player/tank model detail!

Originally posted by SuperTed:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Scipio:

Well, sometimes I need a break, then I play a FPS, drink beer or have sex (not necessarily in this order smile.gif )

Scipio,

If you can do all three at the same, then you are truly talented. :D </font>