Newbie Rant

Just so you all know, I am playing the demo. I have a keen intrest in WW11 (hell, I first learned about CM from an ad in WW11 magizine!) so I have a few questions... (a rant, in other words)

As soon as I can afford it, I am going to order the game, but until then...

Are American and British SMG squads represented? The Americans had the exellent Thopmpson SMG, and the brits had the Sten.

Are 4.2 (107mm) inch mortars in the game?

What kinds of armor (tank-wise) can I exspect a fast, a shreck and a zook to penetrate? For example, could I exspect at faust to zap a sherman, but zzing! of a Churchill?

What do the little symbols in the status bar for infantry squads mean? I've figured out that they indacate how many satchel charges a Enginner squad has, but some of the symbols I am a little fuzzy on.

That's it- but exspect more posts from me!

Originally posted by Mustang:

Just so you all know, I am playing the demo. I have a keen intrest in WW11 (hell, I first learned about CM from an ad in WW11 magizine!) so I have a few questions... (a rant, in other words)

As soon as I can afford it, I am going to order the game, but until then...

Are American and British SMG squads represented? The Americans had the exellent Thopmpson SMG, and the brits had the Sten.

What kinds of armor (tank-wise) can I exspect a fast, a shreck and a zook to penetrate? For example, could I exspect at faust to zap a sherman, but zzing! of a Churchill?

What do the little symbols in the status bar for infantry squads mean? I've figured out that they indacate how many satchel charges a Enginner squad has, but some of the symbols I am a little fuzzy on.

That's it- but exspect more posts from me!

Hussars is not always nice, but does not fully represent this board. Welcome. You'll probably love CM:BO... we do!

Allied Infantry has much less selection than the German Infantry does. The German player can choose some squads which are entirely SMGs ;) American and British "regular" infantry is mostly rifles with a couple of SMGs mixed in, but American and British Airborne troops have more SMGs mixed in.

4.2 inch mortars are represented.

'fausts and 'shrecks have much greater penetration potential than 'zooks do, and are deadly to Shermans close-up, except maybe the Jumbo kinds. Same would go for the Churchill I guess, at least from the front.

Symbols on infantry? Perhaps you are referring to HQ untis? Those represent the HQ's abilties... When the HQ's squads are in Command of him, they gain bonuses...

J Kruger

Well, being as you haven't actually purchased the game yet, and therefore can't read your manual to find the answers to your questions, I'll be nice and take a crack at your questions. I'm far from the most knowledgeable chap around here, but the grogs are probably off arguing the relative merits of British and American field kitchens, so here goes.

Both the Sten and the Thompson are in the Game. Most Ami and Brit squads have at least one. There are no allied "SMG squads" because they did not exist historically as they did for the Germans and the Russians. CM:BO is painstakingly researched, and the units available to each side are modeled after the types of units that actually fought in the ETO. The closest thing that the Allies have to an "SMG squad" is their Airborne squads, which have a higher proportion of SMGs to rifles than their regular infantry squad, just as they did in real life.

Yes. There is a wide variety of Off-Board artillery available, up to and including 14-in. Naval Artillery (although 14in. artillery is only available to the allies in June of 1944 - when it actually was historically available to them).

CM:BO's armour penetration is very complex. For starters, a fausts, shrecks and zooks are HEAT rounds, not AP - they use a shaped, high-explosive charge, rather than solid shot to penetrate armour. As such, they do not usually "zzing!" (by which I take you to mean a ricochet) off of armour. They can hit and fail to penetrate, though. There is no tank, not even the mighty King Tiger, whose armour is absolute proof against these infantry anti-tank weapons. However, getting a knock-out penetration with a bazooka on a King Tiger's frontal armour is very unlikely. Your zook would stand a much better chance shooting at the rear of the King Tiger, which has much thinner armour than the front glacis.

You're right, they're 'special weapons' the squad is carrying. Satchel charges are one. Panzerfausts are another. Rifle Grenades are the third. You should be able to figure out which is which.

A little piece of advice: Buy the game ASAP. Go without lunch; turn the couch upside down and shake out the change; do everything short of robbing old women, but buy it. It's worth every penny.

Enjoy,

YD

Originally posted by Herr Kruger:

'fausts and 'shrecks have much greater penetration potential than 'zooks do, and are deadly to Shermans close-up, except maybe the Jumbo kinds.

The other night a Shreck got a Jumbo of mine with a turret front penetration. Maybe the only time I'd ever ordered a Jumbo too. :( Bugger also nailed a standard Sherman with all of its crew before I ran him off and killed him while he was fleeing, the cowardly wretch. :mad:

Michael

'Shreks'll kill just about anything, they go through almost 300mm armour with no angle.

The best the allies have is 152mm on the fron of the churchill.

The 'fausts haven't failed me yet, but those are mostly side shots as the tanks rumble past.

If you click on the unit and hit enter, it should bring up a little table with all the unit attributes on.

Morale of this story: don't mix allied armour with German infantry at close range, not if you want to keep the tanks.

The other night a Shreck got a Jumbo of mine with a turret front penetration. Maybe the only time I'd ever ordered a Jumbo too. Bugger also nailed a standard Sherman with all of its crew before I ran him off and killed him while he was fleeing, the cowardly wretch.

You unlucky sod. A few days ago I had a green basic sherman take a hit from a schreck front on and survive with no damage. He then performed teh fastest reverse in history (killed the schreck) only to be hit at 5 - 6 times by a 50mm AT (3 - 400m range)and survive. The same tank had already had 2 gun hits and inummerable hits elsewhere from a 37mm (which it killed). :D

I then decided with that sort of luck to go and get a lottery ticket. That sodding sherman had obviously used up all my luck :(

Well Caeser I have to say that balance has been restored to the universe.I just lost a Mk VIII Churchill to a frontal shot from a schreck at a tad over 150 metres.

Guess I'm gonna have to increase that infantry screen out 200 metres.