AF US Tank Crew Pink Coat Tail BMP Fix

Originally posted by Commissar:

Pink is not a color for a soldier.

Maybe THAT's why I always see my infantry beating a hasty retreat. The Wehrmacht comes by all spiffed-up with their spit-shined jackboots and color-coordinated feldgrau motif with matching accessories, and my guys come marching in wearing green, yellow, and a splash of pink clashing with everything.

It must be absolutely mortifying to not be fashionable enough for a battle.

GG smile.gif

I thought that the fix was available on Tom's CMHQ. I think I updated the entire set with the fix and a few other things.

I can't remember anymore, as the prospect of being worked over by Bruno's goons has traumatized me. I'm not sure if I can even mod anymore, after that experience... :(

About the line "Pink is not a color for a soldier".

I just spotted a pict of a Marine LAV-L mortar vehicle after the taking of the Kandahar AFB earlier this year. What did I see on top of this 'manly' armored vehicle? A bright flourscent pink air recognition panel (tarp)! Looking for a few good men indeed!

I recall a German description of a U.S. armor column. He described it as looking more like a parade than a battle, the effect enhanced by the big white air recognition stars and bright yellow (or red/pink) panels tied to the backs.

Maybe those pink coattails are an air recognition feature!

;)

I knew things would go bad when the Army went co-ed. Pink recognition panels, and maybe yellow pokeedot camo underwear. Reversable ya see so there ain't no need to change when entering streams, (which don't exist on account of they ain't SIGNIFICANT)!

Awite, thanks Andrew for sending em. I wasn't gonna sent no goons dat way, harnest. Sides, my cousin Vinny is in Vegas this month on a job, er ah, visiting wit Ma.

Nah, now I downloaded the US Uneeform mod from Tom's HQ and it came complete with the pink underwears on the tanker crews. I can't find no updates what don't got that.

Hmm, seems this all circles back to Tom... :D

[ March 12, 2002, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

On the contrary...

German Panzer crews had Pink Piping on their uniforms...

...pink piping around a Skulls & Crossbones no less!!!

the site is: http://www.ancientidols.com/gerunif.htm[/QB]

They actually had "rosa" or rose coloured piping. Pink was for homosexuals; they wore a pink triangle on their clothes in Nazi Germany.

http://members.shaw.ca/deutschesoldaten/

Look under AFV uniforms.

Schützen (motorized infantry) and Panzerjäger (anti-tank troops) also wore rosa waffenfarbe.

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Commissar:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by AndrewTF:

...check yer e-mail.

Is the fix available anywhere on the net? I have the problem too. Pink is not a color for a soldier.</font>

Originally posted by GreenGriffon:

The Wehrmacht comes by all spiffed-up with their spit-shined jackboots

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Actually, Grog Point of Order, but the Germans did not know what spit shining was; the concept was unheard of to them.

Maybe the Germans weren't the only ones who were oblivious to a simple concept (like humor, for example).

Thank you, Michael. I'll try harder not to deviate from the rigid course of historical accuracy just for the sake of a joke.

Originally posted by GreenGriffon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by GreenGriffon:

The Wehrmacht comes by all spiffed-up with their spit-shined jackboots

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Actually, Grog Point of Order, but the Germans did not know what spit shining was; the concept was unheard of to them.

Maybe the Germans weren't the only ones who were oblivious to a simple concept (like humor, for example).

Thank you, Michael. I'll try harder not to deviate from the rigid course of historical accuracy just for the sake of a joke.</font>

It's hard to be sure, but I think MD might have been joking too (although what he says was true).

I have read in english translations of german books that the piping was "pink". Now I don't know if that was some social commentary by the translator or what, but is "rosa" german for pink?

I assure you that my response was also in jest. Kind of hard to tell when someone's kidding, isn't it? That was sort of my point in responding the way I did.

Anyway, I'm certainly not questioning the validity of what you say, Michael, so don't take this question as anything but complete ignorance on this particular topic (and a little surprise).

So no German soldier in the history of the Wehrmacht ever looked down at his boots while on patrol and said, "Scheisse! I just finished polishing these things and they're already dusty. Maybe if I drop a glob of saliva on them and rub a little, they'll look okay."?

No one ever realized that a little moisture from the ol' salivary glands might make those puppies shine a little more, or are you saying something else (i.e. the Wehrmacht field manual strictly prohibited spitting of any kind, under penalty of castration with a chilled butter knife)?

Even a twit like myself was somehow able to figure that out on my very first patrol in ROTC. I've heard of not allowing soldiers to do any thinking on their own, but that's ridiculous!

Just wondering,

GG

Well, my only source is a well-educated West Point scholar who served with the German Army in the 1970s; did one or two Germans ever try to polish their boots with spit? Who knows - you were ROTC, so I am sure you have seen the same things I have in the reserve army - Future floor wax, black spray paint, "burn" shining, keeping boots in the refrigerator in the belief that cold leather polishes better, etc., etc.,....but you probably also know of only one or two ways that boots were "normally" done....

And that would be brush shining and spit shining.

In hindsight, you think that mebbe they "ought to" have figured things out. But then you look at how long it took human being to figure out, say, the need for stirrups on a saddle. Horsed soldiers went for centuries without having them; today it seems like common sense and you wonder what took them so long to figure it out...

(How's that for hijacking a funny comment into a dull groggy conversation?)

In all seriousness, it is the little things like this that I find fascinating. And I think the pink piping on the black AFV uniform was especially striking.

Oh, incidentally Bruno, you can fix the bmp yourself very easily if you use Windows. Go into the Paint program that comes with Windows; open the bmp file, and using the pink color that is already on the palette, just colour out all the bits on the bmp that you want to be invisible using the pencil tool. (you have to left click on the pink palette to select it). You can use the paint bucket or brush tools also; be sure to left click when using so that the pink color is used rather than the background color.

What, me do something? Andrew did finally send it to me. "With a warning no less that I not accuse him of never doing anything for me." smile.gif

(I asked me cousin Vinney to stop off at Tom'sHQ and find out why the AF US Uneeform download still has the offending bmp in it).